Team Statistics Correlation and Over/Under Achievers

Post your written content here!
Hoff
General Manager
Team Statistics Correlation and Over/Under Achievers

Post by Hoff »

Now that we are coming up on the end of the season and just ahead of the trade deadline, thought I would do a league wide regression correlation test on all team statistics FBB tracks and we have access to.

All correlation is to Win % as of sim 90 for the 2011 season:
Correlation Statistics.jpg
Correlation Statistics.jpg (563.56 KiB) Viewed 325 times
Surprisingly, I thought defense would rank higher on correlation to win %, but the top half of the rankings is dominated by offensive statistics. It's obviously super important to score a lot of points (duh), play at a fast pace, and secure possessions (rebounds).

Additionally, I calculated the correlation between Win % and point differential. This resulted in a correlation of 97.7%.
Point Differential Ranks.jpg
Point Differential Ranks.jpg (836.61 KiB) Viewed 325 times
The luckiest teams (rank difference >2) trying to win this season so far have been the Nuggets and Hornets. Other overachievers (rank difference = 2) trying to win this season so far have been the Bulls, Jazz, and Warriors.

The unluckiest teams trying to win this season so far have been the SuperSonics and Magic. Other underachievers trying to win this season so far have been the Bucks.

In terms of the tank race, the Lakers have been the biggest losers, but they don't have their pick. The overachievers have been Raptors and Kings.
Tyler
General Manager

Post by Tyler »

Surprised the Dallas analytics department is sharing this proprietary information! Great stuff Hoff
Tyler
General Manager

Post by Tyler »

Something tells me Nav had this information prior to now based on how he constructs his squads
Merv
General Manager

Post by Merv »

I’d love to see this for the last few years as well. Would be interesting if the highest correlations held or not. Stockiness looks quite optional if you get buckets
Hoff
General Manager

Post by Hoff »

Merv wrote: March 3rd, 2024, 11:02 am I’d love to see this for the last few years as well. Would be interesting if the highest correlations held or not. Stockiness looks quite optional if you get buckets
Afternoon project
Derek
Small Council

Post by Derek »

Love it!
Derek
Small Council

Post by Derek »

Scoring and rebounding are good
Derek
Small Council

Post by Derek »

Interesting to see assists higher up than things like steals or 3P%
heimer
General Manager

Post by heimer »

Tyler wrote: March 3rd, 2024, 10:47 am Surprised the Dallas analytics department is sharing this proprietary information! Great stuff Hoff
this is dallas not toronto
Welcome to Atlanta where the playas play
And we ride on dem thangs like ev-ery day
Big beats, hit streets, see gangstahs roamin'
And parties don't stop 'til eight in the Monin
jwoo
General Manager

Post by jwoo »

heimer wrote: March 3rd, 2024, 5:24 pm
Tyler wrote: March 3rd, 2024, 10:47 am Surprised the Dallas analytics department is sharing this proprietary information! Great stuff Hoff
this is dallas not toronto
Damn right