18-19 Offseason Questionnaire

Post your written content here!
Joe
Small Council

Post by Joe »

2018-19 Offseason Questionnaire

1. Draft thoughts? Sleepers, busts, your draft, other drafts, whatever.

Pretty meh draft to be picking at the top, cool draft to be picking late lotto, mid round. Loved Gafford, THT, Reddish, those fellas in the later first. Happy to get Ja at 2, definitely feels like a bit of a 2 player draft at the top, and as awesome as Zion will be, he does kinda force you to build your team in a particular way I'd imagine. Should be gamebreaking tho - hopefully Ja's outside comes around like Fultz's.

2. How do you feel about your offseason, and what are your goals for this coming season?

Pretty wild offseason. Fully expected to be in the tank again, especially considering how few rival tankers there are (Ant is up for grabs!). But when life hands you Looney (and Harden), you make Loonenade. Tanking is ass anyway, so I am super pumped to have lucked out in FA and to have a chance to get back to playoffs a whole lot sooner than we had planned. Goal for this season is to make it out of the first round!

3. Thoughts on TC?

Pretty good TC for us overall, nothing overwhelming and nobody died. Great to see improvement from Simons and Prince, our young wings. Simons may be poised for more minutes than I'd thought given how his camp went and how few sellers there are.

4. Who wins each division and why?

Atlantic: Celtics. Our attitude this offseason has been, "fuck it, we'll do it live." Hopefully someone sucks to start the year and decides to blow it up and give me some players.
Central: Honks. KD got better? Seems dumb
Midwest: Spurs - arrow pointed up in every category for these guys.
Pacific: Warriors. Full season of Jrue, Tatum SC and some very competent butts in the FC now.

5. There are very few tankers (yay!) - should any team be looking to blow it up? Why?

Gotta be someone that has their picks, so perhaps the Heat? Maybe the Clippers? Not sure they're going to make the playoffs again with the Dubs and the Lakers making big strides this offseason, but Fultz is good enough to sell the older guys, tank for a year and get somebody good, and then immediately build back up.

6. Excluding your team, what is the player or team storyline you're going to be watching most closely this year?

New look Sixers! As the owner of their 20 pick, I am hoping everyone dies (sorry Dmo) - I do think they'll make the playoff though.

7. With the current champs blowing it up, predict the finals matchup in 19-20, the winner and number of games.

Hawks over Spurs in 7.

8. What non-rookie player is going to show the most drastic improvement after camps this season? Who will show the most decline?

Sabonis might be that guy. Yao seems like he's finally croaked

9. Thoughts on your real life sports team(s).

Drake Maye looked as good as any of the rookie QBs this year in his first start (vs. their respective first starts). That 50 yard dime for a score was so sexy, I don't think I saw Mac Jones throw a TD of longer than 6 yards in his whole career in NE. Maye still makes some dumb rookie throws but he has actual arm talent and thats just cool to watch. Zero expectations for the team, just want a few promising games from Maye.

10. Movies, TV, books, games, whatever recommendations.

Working through the Menendez brothers show, pretty wild.

Bonus: add a pic/gif of how you feel about your season

I miss Manu
bobby
General Manager

Post by bobby »

pacers wrote: Yesterday, 8:55 pm
Pacific: Hot take, give me the Clippers

now you've left me no choice but to trade all my picks
Hoff
General Manager

Post by Hoff »

2018-19 Offseason Questionnaire

I really liked Bol Bol going into the draft... I know kinda look like a dumby, but one good TC can change everything. I think Zion is Shaq-esque, and in the right DC will be a FORCE. Herro is going to a sharp-shooter, and Rui is going to be a do-it-all type of player.

2. How do you feel about your offseason, and what are your goals for this coming season?
I went into the off-season knowing I needed to retool a little bit, but I didn't expect a full teardown. I was a little nervous about not having control of my future, and I was in a bad cap situation. I don't think my trades were good value at all, but I now have 4 prospects I am really excited about, and all my picks. My goals is to have a high draft pick, but I think my team can be a little bit more feisty than expected.

3. Thoughts on TC?
Very happy with Fox's TC. He looks really good, and excited for him to get starting PG minutes. Poeltl and JJJ are still showing A potential, and Ellenson is showing B still.

Atlantic: BOS. Whiteside and Bledsoe are really good.
Central: TOR. Bron, AG, Boogie is balanced offense can be sick.
Midwest: Spurs. A little weaker this season, but Spurs are the team as of now.
Pacific: Warriors. Tatum takes a leap this season...

5. There are very few tankers (yay!) - should any team be looking to blow it up? Why?
TWolves and Heat should make decisions. They have all their own picks, so if they blow it up they achieve incremental value, and if they try to win, they have the assets to do it. Not many tankers this season though.

6. Excluding your team, what is the player or team storyline you're going to be watching most closely this year?
Sabonis looks insane. Excited to see how he plays. I wonder how good the Bucks will be.

7. With the current champs blowing it up, predict the finals matchup in 19-20, the winner and number of games.
Spurs 2 - Magic 4

8. What non-rookie player is going to show the most drastic improvement after camps this season? Who will show the most decline?
Jamal Murray looks like he is going to be a stud

So sad the Giants are so close... I think. Very excited for the Knicks though.

Saw Saturday Night last night. It was very good! Worth going to see.

quady
General Manager

Post by quady »

I liked and hoped to end up one of the trio of bigs that went towards the top of the draft. Personally had them Gafford - Reid - Claxton. Would have waffled a lot about who to take 1, and either traded down or taken Garland. I had Reddish as my 7th ranked wing (non-big), so really really pleased to snag him late in the first and see it already pay off with a big TC.

Good? Conflicted? The smart thing to do was probably buy Jerryd Bayless an around the world ticket for the year, and start like, Rajon Rondo and win 18 games. But that is a) no fun and b) against the spirit of the game imho, so we didn't go that route. Trading JJJ for Rudy and Montrezl should provide us a big boost to defense and rebounding, and both should be quite movable if things go south. Perhaps I was too hasty with a 20 year old JJJ, but it is just not fun at all to see consecutive TCs with no movement at all for a high-potential guy.

3. Thoughts on TC?

Super super positive for all my rookies. Reddish looks like a potential steal and now shows A potential after a +4 camp. RJ had a nice +2 and still shows A potential - all thing considered I wish I could send RJ to the NDL and keep Reddish on the major league team. Lauri has a nice camp as well and is still sitting at A potential as a B+ A- scorer; I think the hype train got a little over excited last year, but this might be the season for him. Noted this elsewhere already, but really the only negative was JJJ staying even AGAIN, but his ass is gone.

Atlantic: Knicks I guess. Embiid looks so fucking good. This is not a very deep team, but Nav has some money he can move around to supplement.
Central: Atlanta and Toronto are very close IMO but I'll go with the Hawks. KD and Russ are regular season wins machines, and J Woo will probably spend some time tinkering.
Midwest: Grizz! They've got what has to be the best front court in the league, a very strong SF in Miles, and what should be productive minutes from BI.
Pacific: Lakers! This should be fun. Kyrie / Hayward / Wiggins / PG / Herro has to be the best wing rotation in SLN... Bam looks sick, and Eddy Curry mostly survived another TC. I think they could use 1 to 2 more playable bigs, but that seems eminently doable.

Philly (sorry D Mo). I would try to flip DJ and especially Yaroslav now. You maybe can't move LMA and Monta, but get Josh Smith in the starting lineup and watch thing thing sink like a lead balloon.

The mid-tier Pacific. I don't think the division is very winnable for the non-Lakers teams, but there aren't really explicit tankers. It's going to be a dogfight to make the playoffs.

Hawks / Lakers, with the Hawks winning in 6. Ca Kawww

I'm not keeping track of who got SC'd, but presumably someone with both a good SC and positive TC. Hopefully it is instead Lauri Markkanen. For decline, maybe Yaroslav? His value was all predicated on positional defense and rebounding, and last year was his best season ever in both boards and stocks. After a negative TC, he should slide in value a bit.

First half niners, second half whoever they're playing. It's been paying like 80% of the time.

I've gotten obsessed with Industry. Am saving the new season of Slow Horses. Watched an episode of the Jake Gyllenhal Apple TV show everyone liked, which seemed pretty dumb imo
Derek
Small Council

Post by Derek »

Happy to nab Gafford at 6th, hopefully he pans out. Goga looked fun too but he wasn’t long for Milwaukee. Terence Davis had a very surprising +2 Outside despite C potential, he might be nice in the NDL.

I feel good about this season, we’ll see what the boys can do. I’d like to make another move or two fsho, and I think I have the pieces for it.

3. Thoughts on TC?
Very happy with it, all the young gents went to work. Hopefully Josh Hart is good now.

Atlantic: Knicks - Joel
Central: Hawks - KD
Midwest: Spurs - JB
Pacific: Suns - Joker

All the top contenders should look to blow it up 😏
Hawks could get a lot of value from their guys…

Kyrie’s Lakers. Luka’s development. Zion’s rookie stats.

This has never been more difficult… I guess Knicks - Spurs, Knicks in 7?

Hopefully Bradley Beal after his +20 potential. And Lebron is washed!

Celtics - let’s get it boys. Patriots - you suck!

The Penguin on HBO has been surprisingly good. Silent Hill 2 got a remake for PS5 and it’s well done.

Dmo
General Manager

Post by Dmo »

My target got swiped a couple of times but had a lot of fun actually having picks and paying a lot of attention to the draft this season (sans Bron).

Sad that Bron is gone but happy with the return and glad that we are still able to contend (hopefully) with the fellas that came to Philly.

3. Thoughts on TC?

Stoked that Barton went +1 inside and outside. Hopefully it translates in the sims.

Atlantic: Knicks. Embiid is still that dude.
Central: Hawks. Core still intact and a tough team to beat.
Midwest: Spurs but I think they need to make a move to sure up the FC.
Pacific: Suns. The front court and Nikola are too good man.

A lot of teams are trying to strip my new additions (which would make me tank), but likely will not indulge at the moment. DJ and Yaro's respective contracts are what I wish LaMarcus and Monta's contracts were so will likely be able to get value out of them if I ever do decide to move them.

Will be looking at every Toronto box score this season to see how LeBron likes playing up North compared to the City of Brotherly Love.

Knicks v. Suns. Suns in 7.

Does "After Camps" just mean purely ratings movement? Or how they play after training camp (i.e. starting with the Preseason 2 sim? Anyways idk lets see biggest improvements from Booker and biggest decline from Yao.

Lets go Yanks! Hoping to close out the series later this week! Eagles had a (not so pretty win) but Jalen looked a lot better with his guys there. Siriani still needs to be Ba Ba Ba BOUNCED TF out though. They should just hire Jason Kelce.

Had never re-watched Modern Family before but it is still hilarious. I am likely a combo of Cam, Gloria, and Phil (in that order)... who is everyone else like??

Also really liked Nobody Wants This and people should watch.