Advanced Stats: Player ID

Post your written content here!
Josh
General Manager
Advanced Stats: Player ID

Post by Josh »

A couple days ago the internet was obsessed with the silly gossip that Chris Paul wasn't traded to the Heat because he didn't want to change his number. Without player numbers, this reality TV nonsense cannot play out in SLN.

While we don't have player numbers in SLN, we do have player IDs. You know those numbers to the left of the player name on your roster. Where do these numbers come from? Is Ashes trying to tell us something? What is the impact of nature vs. nurture? Are they randomly assigned (almost certainly yes)? What other franchise has character IDs and has also been frequently mentioned in my articles?

So let's answer the question using only anecdotal evidence - does player ID matter?!

Player #1: Zydrunas Ilgauskas
1996 draft (first after creation draft). Pick #5 by the Jazz. Spicy stip that hit, Big Z won 2 championships and has averaged nearly 2.5 blocks and 12 rebounds over his 14 year career.
Pokemon #1: Bulbasaur. Weakest Gen 1 pokemon but still becomes a guy if he can fully evolve (and avoid injury)
Takeaway: Big Z is not the #1 player in SLN, but he is a worthy player in this spot. When drafted just like bulbasaur

Player #2: Ratko Varda
Undrafted in 2001. One of a few players with 3 championships. Cool name. Someone you want to have on your team.
Pokemon #2. Ivysaur. Not as cute as bulbasaur, weak but seems friendly
Takeaway: Maybe the sim god was telling us something making his player ID interesting. Would have been a good second round pick for his locker room presence as least. Good comp in Ivysaur who would be a great guy to have around.

Player #3: Gal Mekel
2008 draft. Taken #41 by the Warriors. Another cool name. Spent some time in the NDL and has played under 400 minutes in 2 seasons.
Pokemon #3. Venusaur. Can kinda fuck in a sunny day offense (growth +2 attack/special attack and solarbeam/weather ball if you know what I mean)
Takeaway: Inconclusive. I'd give him some minutes. Very different from Venusaur.

Player #23: Michael Smith
Creation draft. Taken by the bullets in the 5th round. Never became a solid starter, played most of his career off the bench.
Pokemon #23: Ekans. Team rocket filler. Uncreative pokemon, just a snake with its name spelled backwards.
Takeaway: No one can compete with MJ. Reminds me of his pokemon counterpart. Not worthy of his number.

Player #69: Marcus Fizer
2000 draft. Drafted #34 by the Hawks. I am 90% sure Heimer drafted him for his player number.
Pokemon #69: Bellsprout. Would have been a good fit for the the last player ID here.
Takeaway: Player ID seems to match his playing style. High FG % early in career as a youngen, but not really an effective basketball player in his later years.

Player #100: Boniface N'Dong
1999 draft. Taken #39 by the Kings. Great name, weak game.
Pokemon #100: Voltorb. Another lame guy. Just a pokeball with a face.
Takeaway: Still like this player for his name, but both player and pokemon super uninteresting for #100

Player #420: Channing Frye
2005 pick. Hawks (surprise surprise) took at #18. Name somewhat related to #420 for munchies/fries
Pokemon #420: Cherubi. Not even a cherub, this pocket monster looks like a couple of cherries. Is grass type though
Takeaway: Cool Player ID does not lead to a cool player. He's ok. Huge respect to @heimer for taking players #69 and #420

Overall Result: Player ID certainly looks random! Thanks for reading my stupidity
SoNicks
General Manager

Post by SoNicks »

Rat fuck varda
BBB
heimer
General Manager

Post by heimer »

the funniest part about the 69/420 thing is that was entirely by chance. their player ID was different and only after coming up from the NDL did their ID change to 69 and 420. it’s almost like it was… meant to be
Welcome to Atlanta where the playas play
And we ride on dem thangs like ev-ery day
Big beats, hit streets, see gangstahs roamin'
And parties don't stop 'til eight in the Monin
jwoo
General Manager

Post by jwoo »

How is Bony Face not retired???!!
"It’s the evilness of the business that I don’t really care about, not the media per se. It’s the ill intent that comes along with it. Searching for headlines, searching for stories, clickbait. That’s the part I don’t like." - DeMarcus Cousins
jwoo
General Manager

Post by jwoo »

It’s 2012, what team is he on

#Bony2012
"It’s the evilness of the business that I don’t really care about, not the media per se. It’s the ill intent that comes along with it. Searching for headlines, searching for stories, clickbait. That’s the part I don’t like." - DeMarcus Cousins
Joe
Small Council

Post by Joe »

Insight: 2/10
Creativity: 69/10
I miss Manu
Kipke
Small Council

Post by Kipke »

Loved this
Nav
Small Council