No votes
Merv - Magic
5%

Total votes: 19

The Transfer Portal
Small Council
GMOTY - 2011-12

Post by The Transfer Portal »

Right now the new boards only allow for 10 poll choices (wonder if @ashes ) can fix? For now, i listed the 10 teams with the best records. If you think another person is MOST deserving, please post and that will count as their vote until we find a feature to add more votes.

GMs have until Thurs, Mar 7 to vote. If you like, you may refer to the results of the leaguewide survey that I someone put out on GMOTY criteria.

-Anyone who votes gets 100 RPs.
-GMs get an additional 200 RPs for posting in this thread and advocating on behalf of a GM. Do not advocate on behalf of yourself!
-Do not vote for yourself.

Things to Consider:

-GM proactivity and creativity
-Success in drafting, trades, FA signings, general team building
-Production in the form of wins, losses and team stats
-Delta in team performance from year to year (or in this case, from draft to end of season).

Winner Gets:

-1,000 RPs
-Ability to add or subtract a year to any player's contract on your team. Must be done within one season.

Tiebreaker:

-If any two GMs are tied in 1st place in voting, we will do a ranked-choice procedure for them + anyone within 2 votes of the leader to determine the winner.
Tyler
General Manager

Post by Tyler »

Voted Kipke... no one else was really close imo. Sure, the Kawhi pick could've been protected to save value but you can't deny the results. From 20 wins to homecourt in a competitive West. The Melo move was a ton of value given up in the end but I respect the swing and Melo is fucking HIM.

The Tony Allen, Mahinmi, and Jamison acquisitions were perfect to round out this young core. All around great season of GMing in Denver when no one else really made any noise.
SoNicks
General Manager

Post by SoNicks »

Kyrie single handedly keeping RB from the vote lmao
SoNicks
General Manager

Post by SoNicks »

Can you please unlock the voting so you can change your vote if need be?
SoNicks
General Manager

Post by SoNicks »

I think Tyler hit on a lot of great points and I voted for nuggets as they have the strongest candidacy by a mile. I really think we undervalue that Melo deal for the spurs. Imo the kawhi in the deal is the only reason nuggets shouldn’t win the award. It was a brutal deal and i suspect there’s a world where curry Melo and kawhi all wear the same uniform and that’s a bummer. I do disagree on no one else making noise as imo the other two best candidates didn’t even get a recognition.

Cavs acquired devis Harris and KG a year after Duncan and have a much improved roster and a respectable delta all without trading Cleveland picks

Also pistons might’ve had a similar delta as nuggets had fate not intervened. Kyrie Stipped him, and instead of risking kyries growth potential or any negative ramarications and the potential ceiling of his empire, he sacrificed a shit ton of delta, and a real shot at gmoy because of it. His additions of Lou, Roy, Kyrie, resigning of Odon and acquiring Odom was a hell of an offseason. And if his starting PG was the kyrie from 5 years from now, this might be a top 4 team in the east, which is like top 7 in the west! i think sacrificing one years delta for the increase in potential of a teams future is great GMing.

But in the end Kipke has such a massive Delta that even Jedi Master Pong Krell was intimidated
Joe
Small Council

Post by Joe »

Kipke gets my vote this year. I think the other fellas covered it in terms of turning a tank around into 52 wins and the 4 seed, but it wasn't just the Melo deal that made it happen (though I will admit in retrospect it was a value bath, but it wouldn't have been if the Nugs pick didn't jump) - the Nugs made a ton of moves around the margins, picking up guys like Jamison and Mahinmi for pretty cheap to round out depth.

A few honorable mentions are the Cavs (Mantypas not only torpedoed his 12 pick, but ended up in the 5 seed after the starting the season a ton of games below .500), the Knicks (getting Crawford and Hamilton - two bonafide vet stars - for a couple of shitty picks and filling exactly the missing needs on his team), and the Magic (winning 49 games and being +7.5 in the East - a huge improvement from last year and prob a better case this year for GMOTY IMO - with a bunch of guys everyone else shits on/threw away, like PG Deron Williams, Joe Johnson, Brand, Yi).
"It's great to see the Celtics doing well again, 'cause that was so much fun in my day to go to the Boston Garden and get spit at, get things thrown at you and talk about your mom. It sounds like dinner at Kenny Smith's house."
quady
General Manager

Post by quady »

I vote for Nav. I don't think he lost a deal - at the time I didn't love the Rip acquisition - I thought he we were starting to see him die last season as a laker going from 40% to 35.7% from 3. He turned things around in New York though, bouncing back up to his career averages, dropping his turnovers, scoring at a normal rate, and playing more minutes. Chauncey had a pretty good season in LA, but could very well be dying, and Nav did well to get out ahead of that, get a (slightly) younger guy in Rip, and keep the stars churning in NY. I really liked the Crawford trade at the time and I think more in retrospect. Finally, trading Sheed into cap space before free agency for no cost to him was a pretty big win. It seems like Nav maybe has a type rotating these older star guys the league is ready to forget about - it's a pretty stressful high wire act trying to keep them just as long as they can still play but no so long that they might retire, and so far it's been working. Also winning the pick ems might be the most valuable thing you can do (what would you trade a shooting camp for?), so some additional credit to Nav for the great Bosh season.

Kipke is my number 2 for the same reasons as everyone above me. The Melo trade was maybe not a great deal in a vacuum, but as I've said before, I think there's value to trading for a star generally, and the longer you hold on to time and RP sensitive rookies especially given the dearth of RP available, the worse I'd expect the return for them to be. Beyond Melo, I really liked the Mahinmi and Jamison pickups, and was also dismayed to find Kipke has beaten me to Udoka.

Also want to shoutout Jesse and Jordo who I think both did very well to accrue future value if not a win delta; Jordo with great deals for Melo and Malik Allen, and Jesse for churning his roster while maintaining a pretty good base of talent, and picking up a handful of picks along the way. It's possible the Kings get shutout in free agency, but you don't get to take the swings without getting your cap sheet squared away.
Merv
General Manager

Post by Merv »

I think it’s Josh for me. That guy generally moves in silence like the G in lasagna. He’s assembled the best team I’ve seen in my short SLN tenure. I’ve said on a couple pods and I believe on the boards, it’s basically a perfect team. He made the active decision to resign Tyson and Tayshaun at those numbers knowing what it could mean for JayWill and Pau, but yolo bro, they’re filming some documentary in Vancouver called The Last Dance or something. Morris Peterson and Nick Collison were very high level minimum signs and clear ring chasers.

His coaching has been elite, with a pretty impeccable DC. I think at the end of the day, Josh had some real optionality last season and chose to roll the dice and bet on his team and himself instead of flipping Pau or someone else for some assets and a player downgrade. They’ve responded by absolutely dominating the league.

Other than Josh, my honorable mentions would be Matt and Kipke. Matt for reasons similar to Josh and Kipke for reasons stated above. I just think sustained excellence is very hard and I’ve been super impressed with Josh keeping the core together, subtly making tweaks, and still getting better. Plus he’s made fun content and we all love content
Jordo
General Manager

Post by Jordo »

Voting for Kipke this season. I understand people talk about the value of the Melo deal but had that pick not jumped from 5 to 1 that discussion probably isnt happening. Firm believer that if you're going after a superstar you gotta pay a premium and the bold move resulted in a huge win delta from last season. Obviously a bit biased on Melo but he's as legit as it gets and the Nuggs are positioned to be elite for years to come.

Also big shouts to Josh, Quady, Nick, Nav, Merv and Matt seems like these guys are in the convo year in and year out.
Last edited by Jordo on March 6th, 2024, 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yee-to-the-Haw
Matt
Small Council

Post by Matt »

Voted for Kipke for the switch flip - always super impressive to be able to bring in a generational talent like Melo and not part with a blue chip prospect like Steph and Boogie. He rolled the dice on trading his lotto pick and got a tough roll by conveying Kawhi, but this team is set up for sustained success not just through the big Melo move but also through some nice moves around the edges.

Not really a close second for me - awesome seasons from the Griz and Blazers, but don't think either GM did a ton THIS season to warrant the award (but obviously both have made great moves leading up tot his season). Shoutout to Mantypas who was in a bit of a rough situation and was able to wheel and deal into a 50 win team (almost) without his pick.