Offseason guide for all Atlantic Division members

Post your written content here!
mantypas/CavsCzar
General Manager
Offseason guide for all Atlantic Division members

Post by mantypas/CavsCzar »

Merv beat me to the punch and did this for every team, but I was determined to finish my article up as it is a little different. I tried to touch on the draft, talk about strengths and weaknesses, and give my advice on what the heck the team should do. Only touched on the Atlantic division as this was actually a lot of work. For the rest, go see Merv's article. If you want advice on what your team should do and you aren't in the Atlantic division, I can be paid in RP lol. And here we go!

Boston Celtics –

Available Cap Space - $4,357,547 away from hard cap

Team Strengths – rebounding (top 5), taking care of the ball (top 5), perimeter defense (top 6 in steals and opponent 3pt %)
Weaknesses – Shooting efficiency (16 in FG%, 21st in 3 Pt %)
FA resigning’s – Emeka Okafor, Biedrins, declined Lavoy Allen
Folks they need to resign - Nah
Draft Picks for this year – 20 or 21st, dependent on tiebreaker
Positions of need – backup PG, wing depth, shooters
Draft Plan
A) Identify a win now type of player in the 20s at the wing or PG position. Someone like a Delon Weight, Terry Rozier, Josh Richardson type of guys
B) Identify a good NDL prospect at any position. Not the youngest team of the bunch, so would be a good idea to get a good NDL stash guy like Stanley Johnson, Kevon Looney, or taking a flyer on Mudiay
C) Sell pick for RP – Larry Sanders has available camps that I am sure Joe would love, and he could theoretically use the cap space to sign someone
FA plan
A) Use the LLE wisely – The only way Joe can add talent above the vet min is thru the LLE. Use it on someone good-ish. Probably one of the below options
B) Get some shooters – someone like Steve Blake, Kyle Korver, Battier (if they can afford) or any other wing or PG shooters to help spread the floor
C) Get a real backup PG – sorry Randy Foye, you are not that guy. Again, Steve Blake or Luke Ridnour would work
Potential trade ideas
1. Trading Devin Harris and draft capital for younger PG that fits the Beas and PG timeline (Rubio) or lights out scoring PG (Crawford or Lou Will)
2. Packaging Emeka and picks for a stud center
3. Spending RP on some guys that wont get you over the hump without a good TC, but could with a good TC
My thoughts –
Go all in – Beas and PG seem to be at their primes, Devin Harris and Emeka probably a little past. Trade those two and picks and build around the amazing wings you have

Miami Heat
Available Cap Space - $32,724,187 (assuming Psycho T is not resigned
Team Strengths – Blocks (top 2), 3 pt shooting (top 2), Defense (top 2 in opponent FG% and top 9 in opponent PPG)
Weaknesses – Shooting efficiency (20th in FG%), turnovers (18th), steals (19th)
FA resigning’s – Klay Thompson
Folks they need to resign – Marcin Gortat, Andrew Bogut
Draft Picks for this year – No FRPs
Positions of need – backup PG, backup bigs (in case Duncan retires), starting bigs (in case they cant retain Bogut and/or Gortat)
Draft Plan
A) See if there is anyone worth buying into the draft – Lots of young bigs that could be good to replace Duncan when he retires, like Cauley Stein or Looney
B) Find a second round gem for cheap
FA plan
A) Resign Gortat and Bogut – must resigns for the Heat, as these big butts are proving quite pivotal in their fun postseason run
B) Leaving enough cap space for Dame next season – will be very bad if Dame can’t be resigned next year, already looks like a stud
C) Smart one year signings – use that MLE and LLE on good depth pieces.
Trade ideas
1. Trading Dame for an established PG and draft capital
2. Signing then flipping Gortat or Bogut for a lesser tier center, but more depth
My thoughts – such a tricky spot – dependent on the playoff run, I think they should try to run it back, but make sure resigning Dame next year is possible, even if it means trading TA at the deadline or in the offseason for a lesser expiring

New Jersey (Swamp) Nets
Available Cap Space - $18,602,539 away from hard cap

Team Strengths – Shooting efficiency (3rd in 3pt %, 8th in FG %, 4th in FT %)
Weaknesses – Rebounding (22nd), Steals (19th), middle of the pack defensively
FA resigning’s – Lou Will, Bobby Simmons, KEMBA!
Folks they need to resign – JJ Reddick, maybe Battier?
Draft Picks for this year – 12th or 13th, dependent on tiebreaker
Positions of need – Big wings, backup PG, big butt
Draft Plan
A) Get AD a running mate down low – good bigs like Bobby Portis, Harrell or Jahlil Okafor may be available
B) Get a solid wing player that can play some defense and grab some boards – Somone like Kelly Oubre or Stanley Johnson would be a solid pull
C) Trade back for an NDL stash pick –

D) Get best available player – Knicks are so raw, I’d just go with best available whether its KAT, Booker, Porzingus, Turner, or DLo
E) Get a solid wing player that can play some defense and grab some boards – Somone like Kelly Oubre or Stanley Johnson would be a solid pull
F) Trade back for an NDL stash pick –
FA plan
A) Resign JJ Reddick and maybe Battier – JJ seems like a must sign to keep their strength of 3 point shooting
B) Use the MLE wisely – try to find a high rebounding big or a stud two way SF
C) Keep Cap open for AD’s resigning next year
Potential trade ideas
1. Don’t touch AD or Gobert – neither has turned into the studs we are expecting just yet, but if I were the swamp man, I’d stay patient and let the TC happen, maybe play Gobert over Robin next year
2. Package Lopez and filler for an upgrade at the wing – maybe like Danny Granger who they just had or Jamario Moon
3. Trade Lou Will for a younger guard and some wing depth or draft assets – Lou will is a little older than the AD/Kemba core
My thoughts – stay patient – the team is so young with positive TCs to come, no need to spend all the picks just yet or to trade young prospects

New York Knicks
Available Cap Space – the most out of anyone
Team Strengths – Nothing
Weaknesses – Everything lol
FA resigning’s – None
Folks they need to resign – don’t need to but could sign and trade Tayshaun Prince, Okur, and Pavlovic
Draft Picks for this year – #4 and 24
Positions of need – Everything again lol, but really Young Wings, a real PG, bigs to help Embiid
Draft Plan
A) Get best available player – Knicks are so raw, I’d just go with best available whether its KAT, Booker, Porzingis, Turner, or DLo
B) Get a good vaue NDL guy at 24 – any position other than PG as Nav has two PGs and two wings and a big
FA plan
A) Sign and trades galore – sign and trade your existing bird right guys, sign and trade the studs out there like Eddie G or Gortat or Bogut or literally anyone else
B) Go after Kyrie – we all found out hes now a non RFA’d FA so you have to put a max offer on him
C) Don’t use the MLE on a tradeable guy that is win some games – I think Nav is tanking again for good reason next year
D) Go for high pot guys on long reasonable contracts, or young guys that could fit next to Embiid. Maybe someone like Vucevic or Valanciunas
Potential trade ideas
1. Trade Trey Burke or Galloway for value? Both played pretty great last year and both have sexy ratings. Both PGs so Nav is going to have to pick one
2. Trade his current pick for futures? I don’t think he should actually do this but looking at his existing roster, Nav doesn’t have much to trade
My thoughts – Tank again. Resign your bird guys to reasonable contracts and flip them for straight up garbage, sign some intriguing young guys, and be patient for next year

Orlando not so Tragic after the lottery
Available Cap Space – $56,600,159 away from hard cap ($21 mil under soft cap)
Team Strengths – Nothing also lol (top 20 in blocks though at 20)
Weaknesses – Everything lol
FA resigning’s – None
Folks they need to resign – Milos Teodosic for the tank lol. IDK maybe Lance Stephenson for the youth
Draft Picks for this year – #2, 12, 23, and 26
Positions of need – Front court help
Draft Plan
A) Best available, just like the Knicks. Booker or KAT would be great fits, and whoever else with his other picks would be key
B) Maybe get some great defenders – Marcus Smart is already shaping into being one of the better defenders the SLN will see, someone like Stanley Johnson would be a fun team up
C) Consolidate some of the picks and either move up to get another
FA plan
A) Literally the same as the Knicks – sign and trade studs and go after Kyrie
B) Try to poach a young center that fits into his timeline. So many good bigs out there, Noah, Vucevic, Jonas, Tristan Thompson. Go get one of them
Potential trade ideas
1. Trade his 20s picks into a higher NDL spot for the Stanimal
2. See what is out there for interesting guys like Henson, stocky Bennett and potentially Terrance Ross if Booker is the selection at 2
My thoughts – Tank again. This team needs probably two more TCs to be something interesting

Philadelphia 76ers (Lebrons)
Available Cap Space – $13,905,062 away from hard cap
Team Strengths – Lebron
Weaknesses – Everyone not lebron
Real Team Strengths – Blocks (#1), Scoring (#7), contesting shots (#5 in opponent FG% and 3 in opponent 3pt %)
Real Weaknesses – Not getting to the line (25th in FT attempts), steals (21st), taking are of the ball (middle of the range at 15th in TOPG)
FA resigning’s – Dalembert and Jimmer
Folks they need to resign – Maybe Bayless on the cheap
Draft Picks for this year – No FRPs, one late SRP
Positions of need – backup PG, wing defenders, more bigs
Draft Plan
A) Trade some RP and or a way future FRP to get into the draft – get a non-NDL eligible guy that can help Lebron right away. Think Oubre, Tyus Jones, or Bobby Portis
FA plan
C) Reisgn your key guys like Nazr, Kris Clack, and Bayless for reasonable 1 year deals
A) Use the MLE on a big – someone like Elton Brand or Channing Frye or Marc Gasol could be super useful
B) Hit on the leftover FAs – make a fake Lebron trade block again, it worked!
Potential trade ideas
1. Trade Lebron to the Cavs because CLEVELAND THIS IS FOR YOU
2. Seriously though, look for a suitor of Willie Green, he has regressed, would be great to break his contract up into nicer pieces
3. Trade your latest future FRP for more lebron help at the wings
4. Consider sending Pierce off for multiple depth pieces. He’s so good, but he’s also one of your only real tradable assets besides Lebron
My thoughts – Lebron is 31 and has five more years on his deal. However, his contract is only going up. You have to take advantage of his years on the team. Trade whatever to give him the best chance.

Washington Bullets
Available Cap Space – $15,486,598 under the soft cap thanks to retirings
Team Strengths – steals and blocks (7 and 8), defense (3rd in opponent PPG and 8th in opponent FG %), 3 pt shooting (top 10)
Weaknesses – Turnovers (23rd)
FA resigning’s – None (huge Manu retiring)
Folks they need to resign – Lou Amundson (I spelled it right this time), Mirza, Kevin Martin, Amir Johnson (played amazing in the playoffs)
Draft Picks for this year – #15
Positions of need – They only have three players on the active roster, with a couple SGs in the NDL. I’d say bigs, wings, and backup PG
Draft Plan
A) Depends on if he’s trying to blow it up or stay competitive – if competitive, get an non NDL eligible guy to come in and contribute – Ala Kelly Oubre or Bobby Portis
B) If looking to trade CP3 – get a fun value NDL guy like Mario Hezonja or Stanley Johnson
FA plan
A) He now has space, try to get Kyrie
B) Get one of the Heat bigs in Bogut or Gortat
C) Resign Amir, Mirza, Lou and Kevin Martin
D) If tanking, sign and trade guys for picks
Potential trade ideas
1. Trade CP3 for a haul – not sure how big the haul should be since he is on an expiring, but he is a top PG, should be some interested parties
2. Trade GWall for depth or a younger asset
3. Trade NDL stud Ben McLemore for someone that can win now
My thoughts – Manu retiring gives this team a lot more flexibility. Big shoes to fill, but now they can go out and get a guy or multiple guys. Or they could easily send GWall and CP3 and Ben McLemore, sign and trade Kevin Martin (who was great this season) and start from scratch
jwoo
General Manager

Post by jwoo »

this is super detailed, wish i could read a raptors one lol
Merv
General Manager

Post by Merv »

Yea this is insanely detailed and makes mine look skimpy. I know mine took way way longer than I wanted so can only imagine the work. Shower him in RP!
Nav
Small Council

Post by Nav »

450 rp