2013-14 Offseason Questionnaire

Post your written content here!
Joe
Small Council

Post by Joe »

TL; DR: More free RP for a quick post! Prob wait til after FA to fill it out.

In addition to Team Awards, GMs can earn a quick and dirty 125RP by replying in this thread and filling out the below questionnaire - not required, but why not? Copy down the questions in a reply post and fill 'em out. Can be serious, can be funny, whatever you want. If you want to wait 'til after FA to fill this out, it's up to you! Just get it done by the tip of the 14-15 season.

DO NOT claim your RP in the RP thread - we will calculate it separately before the season turns over and if you posted you will receive credit.

1. Draft thoughts? Sleepers, busts, your draft, other drafts, whatever.

2. How do you feel about your offseason, and what are your goals for this coming season?

3. Thoughts on TC? What improvements do you want to see from your team?

4. Who wins each division and why?

Atlantic:
Central:
Midwest:
Pacific:

5. There have been a ton of blockbuster trades this offseason. Which team made the best trade? Why?

6. Predict Jokic's rookie season statline.

7. What previously low-impact player is going to break out this season?

8. With the current champs blowing it up, predict the finals matchup in 14-15, the winner and number of games.

9. Thoughts on your real life sports team(s).

10. Movies, TV, books, games, whatever recommendations.

Bonus: add a pic/gif of how you feel about your season
"It's great to see the Celtics doing well again, 'cause that was so much fun in my day to go to the Boston Garden and get spit at, get things thrown at you and talk about your mom. It sounds like dinner at Kenny Smith's house."
Joe
Small Council

Post by Joe »

I thought this draft went kinda chalky through the first 14 or 15 picks, but there was a ton of value there. I guess Smart went a hair earlier than I expected, though. Aside from Embiid and Jokic, I loved Harris, Bogdanovic and Warren at the end of the lotto, and Langston Galloway and Rodney Hood a little further down. I was thrilled to snag Tarik Black on a second rounder contract - I thought he might be gone by pick 20.

2. How do you feel about your offseason, and what are your goals for this coming season?

Not a whole lot going on this offseason for us aside from retaining PG - a little annoying we had to use the RFA but I'm glad I've got him on a 6 year max. We're going to need to make another move or two to shore up depth before the season starts, but I want to see how day 4/5 shakes out. We are very much open for business in the event people have ideas!

Outside of a good camp from rookies Gary Harris and Tarik Black, would love to see PG and Beas take another step forward, or at the bare minimum not randomly take one backward. Need Okafor and Harris to hold the line, wouldn't mind Harris ticking back up to A- Outside either. Marcus Thornton is going to finally get some burn this year, so would be cool if we got a little uptick from him too.

Atlantic: Celtics. After a long hiatus, back to betting on ourselves! Sixers will be tough and I think the Heat are going to be scary too.
Central: Bucks. Durant with a shooting camp is terrifying - could very well see the Pistons take it too. When was the last time I said that?? Never???
Midwest: Mavs. They're probably 1 or 2 big butts short of a sure thing, but they've got space. Nuggets will be a close second.
Pacific: Blazers. This division is back to being a total mess, everyone is shipping talent out of it instead of the other way around.

5. There have been a ton of blockbuster trades this offseason. Which team made the best trade? Why?

I think both of the Kings blockbusters were very good for Sacramento - getting two bonafide blue chippers back for aging superstars (one declining a bit in performance and the other on a monster deal that will see him paid $30M at age 38) in addition to a bunch of quality prospects and picks is nice. Retooling at its finest.

I think he'll do 16, 11 and 5 with 2 stocks to 3 TOs on 47/39/80

Dame Time is coming. AD was a solid starter last year but I think he'll end the season as a top 5 big in the league.

8. With the current champs blowing it up, predict the finals matchup in 14-15, the winner and number of games.

I have the Nuggets beating the Sixers in 7. Kipke finally gets one and Lebron has to wait another year.

I'm certainly not asking for sympathy, but this Celtics playoff run has been remarkably not fun - feels like anything less than a title is a complete failure, every win feels like it's expected and every loss I feel the urge to slam the panic button. Would be so cool to see a game as MSG if it were the Knicks and the Celtics in the ECF, don't care if it costs a month's rent. I'm reserving any statements on Drake Maye until training camp starts and I start reading alarmist Patriots blogs.

Shogun is awesome!

"It's great to see the Celtics doing well again, 'cause that was so much fun in my day to go to the Boston Garden and get spit at, get things thrown at you and talk about your mom. It sounds like dinner at Kenny Smith's house."
mantypas/CavsCzar
General Manager

Post by mantypas/CavsCzar »

Since I fell out of the top 3, I think all of Embiid, Jokic, and Wiggins are gonna be ass. LOL, JK. I thought it was a very deep draft. i think some of the late PGs that are NDL eligible like Exum and Langston Galloway are going to be good contributors. I was super happy Vonleh fell to me in the second round, think he is going to be an absolute stud.

Still some work to do, would like to see a good TC bump and start to actually win some games, even if I dont make it to the playoffs, I'd like to be competitive. Excited for the month of linsanity, and further improvements from Barnes and Crowder

Need Harrison Barnes to pop! He is getting a shooting heavy supercamp and is still showing that A pot. Would love to see him pop off as a SG. Any improvement to Nerlens, Crowder, TRob, and Curry would be welcomed. Also excited to see how Lavine pops.

Atlantic: Heat - I love bringing wade into Miami, him bogut and duncan form an elite defense. Expecting more juice from klay and dame here for this spicy take
Central: Bucks - KD with shooting camp should scare everyone
Midwest: Mavericks - I like what Hoff is continuing to do grabbing gomes. Nuggets should be a close second
Pacific: Blazers- they havent really changed should still be elite

The suns trading for Mike Conley and Oden and Turkeyglue. Its just a fun trade where they were able to do friendship with getting a ton of value. Like a rental of Mike COnley for a year, and in return, he also got one of the best young bigs and turkeyglue.

14 PPG, 8 RPG, 8 APG, .5 steals, .5 blocks, 3 TOPG

Harrison Barnes baby - in Harry Barnes we trust.

Bucks vs Nuggets - Bucks - 6 games

Wizards got the 2nd pick and I have no clue who I want them to get. Jayden daniels will hopefully be good for my redskins and hopefully wont get killed in the first month. Villanova basketball makes me sad.

I've been enjoying the fallout show so much I redownloaded the remastered PS5 edition of Fallout 4.

No gifs
scoops
General Manager

Post by scoops »

With no real pick this year, I wasn't as in tune with the draft as I have been the last couple seasons. That said, love Langston Galloway as a sleeper in SLN (and in real life). Jokic / Embiid going to be a blast to track for years.

Lol. That's my thoughts. Was very close to not pulling the trigger on D Wade. The Wade contract, giving up the RP, the fact I think Beal is about to turn the corner big time (age 21 with flat A shooting 40% from 3).. But it just didn't align with Bogut prime, Klay/Dame wanting to play for winners (which I had in my mind on a re-sign issue), and the fact I want to try and win during my slow work time (now/this summer). And at the end of the day, D Wade is a GOAT who needed to spend some time in Miami. What's the point of playing the game if not for having some fun. And getting D Wade is fun. Also LOVE the Tony Allen deal. I think he's a perfect fit for the squad. Goal this year is a deep playoff run.

Massive TC in South Beach. Need Dame handles to turn the corner AND his volume to go up. Was weird seeing his TO go backwards year two but it was better by the end of the year. Klay is going to become just a murderer. A straight killer. Want D Wade to hold on (I'm hoping for 3 really good seasons on that deal). Also need Duncan to hold on as he's going to play a slightly bigger role than I probably anticipated for the squad.

Atlantic: Heat. Good to be back. Tony Allen 6th man of the year. D Wade joins Klay as a couple of ballers. Bogut holds down the front court. Dame turns the corner.
Central: Bucks. This is probably a testament to what Derek has done in year's past and Kyrie possibility of going AWOL. Pistons will be dope.
Midwest: Nuggets. Mavs will be good but Kip has the big boys in their prime.
Pacific: Blazers. That's still a helluva squad up in the PNW.

I'll go with the Sonics. Love TP, think it's a blast of a trade, Conley/Oden are dope. But that's just so much leverage on Nick. And so for Nick to get it all back in his hands was huge at a price that just wasn't enough to me. That said if Wade coming to Miami helps us keep *both* Klay/Dame, then that deal was entirely worth it (even though Beal will be good).

I'll go 13.5/8.5/4.5 with 2 stocks/3.2 TO. He's going to be insane but I just think it takes a year or two especially if TP supercamps.

Bradley Beal. He's going to be really good I think. Was never really an option in Miami and the efficiency jumped a ton. Now will get the ball a lot.

Sixers over the Nuggets in 6. DMo finally gets his Bron title.

I will be at the Arsenal-Everton game on Sunday. So for the love of god can Man City please drop points this week and allow me to be preposterous in the streets of London. Also v hyped for Mizzou football. Blues hockey was ass.

Reading Fever Pitch right now. Which is the OG book by Nick Hornby about Arsenal that was turned into a movie and then Jimmy Fallon stole it and made it into a Red Sox movie. If you like soccer, give it a read. Great book.

Bonus
*insert Dame time tapping his wrist gif*
jwoo
General Manager

Post by jwoo »

Very fun draft. We did a great job overall with the pacing which was a win for the league too I thought. Was excited to get two prospects I had projected in my Top 10 with Grant and Gordon (via trading up) and then sneak in to get McDermott late. Think Capela, TJ Warren and Nurkic are good bets to have good SLN careers. Some good value late - Saric, Jordan Clarkson, Rodney Hood, Dwight Powell (almost took him but McBuckets seemed fun).

Pumped. Was not expecting to have a chance to bring back Lou Williams. Once that happened it was time to start shifting gears back toward contention. I do believe in Rubio long-term but decided the Livingston risk was preferable to the Rubio risk. Bottom line I felt like I got very good deals on two Top 20 players and that gives us a runway in the next few seasons to have some fun. I always enjoy tanking/asset stacking but it ran its course a bit. Think we're probably a couple more moves away from being really good, but excited to experiment with DCs.

Really need my young guys to TC well and be able to turn in good rotation minutes next season (Adams and Rice in particular, Grant and Gordon are probably two TCs away from contributing at least which is fine). The roster is pretty young so I think there's good upside for internal growth. Would be great if Kwame held the line.

Atlantic: Celtics, but I think the Heat are probably right behind them, and the Nets could challenge with AD supercamp and another TC for Rudy/AD/Kemba.
Central: Bucks, no reason to fade them, but hoping we can make things interesting
Midwest: Spurs! This division is wide open though, Mavs Nuggets and Jazz should be in the mix, Rockets need a new PG first.
Pacific: Blazers again, they will return enough talent, but this is also pretty wide open.

I thought Beal for Wade made a ton of sense, was talking about it to Merv and then it happened a few days later, think it fixes a number of things for the Heat and the price wasn't absurd.

15/9/6 on 45/76/37 splits.

My sources in Orlando are saying the Magic are about to pimp out Tyler Hansbrough.

Raptors in seven

I regrettably am back in on the Bears. I hate it

Strongly recommend X-Men 97!

rbrown5192
General Manager

Post by rbrown5192 »

Can't wait to see how Jokic and Embiid develop. It will always remain an interesting question of who should have gone 1 vs. 2 as we see them progress.

I decided to move on from Lou Will, thinking it will be tough to build a roster around him and Kyrie after this season when both will probably command max deals. I'm also trying to thread the needle of getting younger in other roster spots while still remaining competitive to avoid pissing off Kyrie. And I want to be better on defense, so tried to get lower volume, stockier guys at the 2/3, to try to slow opposing offenses while letting Kyrie really shine as the sole all-out offensive player.

Hoping to see continued improvement from Kyrie but mostly hoping to see some improvement from Draymond and Bazemore in combo with reward camps. My general gameplan for the next ~5 seasons where I don't have my picks is to try to develop a couple of these young guys while filling in with vets each year to try to compete for the playoffs throughout. I'm sure it will work better in some years than others and it will be tougher to navigate as Kyrie comes onto a big new contract, but fingers crossed.

Atlantic: Celtics are pretty much running it back, so hard to see why they shouldnt be great again and had games to spare to remain top of the Atlantic. Nets and Heat are looking up but think Celtics stay on top.
Central: Pistons. Obviously biased here but think KG is going to be insane value for defense / stocks at the 3 on his new lower contract and will be a major upgrade from Okur there last year. Battier brings efficient but lower volume scoring to let Kyrie cook while being a way better defender than Lou Will was. Pau had an All-Star season last year so looking for him to repeat that. I may need to make one more move to re-upgrade at the 5 but I have high hopes for Hibbert to keep progressing into later years like we've seen with other bigs. I think Teague will be a good backup PG which is critical for my team with Kyrie's unpredictability. And then some combo of Okur, Draymond, Bazemore, and JR Smith should be sufficient depth, especially if the younger guys can improve in TC. That's my rant on the Pistons build this season... Bucks with KD shooting boost will be tough too though...
Midwest: Spurs. I love what Jordo has done with that roster to bring in TP and DeAndre Jordan is starting to look awesome. And Kawhi and Kevin Love and Caron Butler...
Pacific: Blazers look the most consistent vs. last year so likely to repeat.

I think TP in San Antonio will be awesome

14 PPG / 4 APG / 9 RPG with 1.5 stocks to 2.5 turnovers

AD off the supercamp is going to be a problem.

Celtics over the Blazers in 6

BOOM BABY. The Pacers are so back. I'll be so thrilled if they can sneak past the Knicks into the Eastern Conference Finals.

I've got nothing right now honestly. I've been busy with work so largely just watching NBA playoffs and that's about it.

Merv
General Manager

Post by Merv »

Was pretty happy to walk away with a total upside swing in Randle and a guy who can help us build a culture in Marcus Smart. Planned on trading 37 then Dwight Powell fell so that was fun. I’d have taken Jokic 1 because the experiment sounds more fun. Lots of tweener types as position less basketball really begins. Can’t wait to see what it translates to

We want to suck and make good trades. Cmon D📕

Would love to see a nice pop from Bennett, Randle, and Smart. TRoss should get to A- outside at some point. Ibaka and Henson growing as rebounders would be awesome

Atlantic: Heat, it’s Wade County now
Central: Bucks. Wanted to say Raptors but think they might be a year away with all the youth
Midwest: Nuggets. Shaun Livingston killed the rockets :(
Pacific: Blazers, Yi and Joe Johnson get a chance to shine after CJ left

Kings got great value. Love the gamble for Scoops. Beal was an RFA risk and if you’re gonna use him as a trade chip, Wade is the kind of player you want. Would love to see Rubio take a leap forward for GX giving him a PG of the future

13.3 / 9.4 / 5.2 / 2.7 TOV .433/.345/.850

Psycho T. He was ridiculous per 36 at the end of last year and is about to get marketed to the world in his first real minutes

Is it the Bucks year? Bucks over Nuggets 4-2

N/A
TBD
tonger
General Manager

Post by tonger »

I think Jokic is going to be so fun, probably unlike any player we've seen thus far (or at least I've seen thus far). Love how creative ashes is getting with player design. The A handles to start is mind boggling. I'm really not sure what to think about the remaining players in the draft. I'm pretty sure Capela is going to be at the minimum very solid.

The Roy for TMac trade gives me some more flexibility in how to operate. I tried to sign TMac last offseason so it's nice to have him on board! Had a few larger moves that were on the bubble but didn't go through, which is OK - I'm excited to see how my roster performs. Goals... don't want to jinx it.

How big of a step forward Jimmy, Drummond, TJones/TT (just need one of them to be a solid backup), and Korolev take will have a huge impact on the season. On the other side, Hart and TMac need to not backslide a ton. I'm optimistic.

Atlantic: Torn between the Celtics and the Heat... I'll pick the Celts since the record difference was pretty significant last year and they ran back basically their entire roster, but the Heat got a lot better.
Central: Always bet on yourself!!
Midwest: Give me the Spurs!!! At the end of the day, Jordo got big pieces for his rotation. Excited to see how it shakes out.
Pacific: Blazers - rest of the division is kind of a tossup, not sure what to think about the Suns yet (Jokic is such a huge swing factor).

Has to be Sonics/Suns. What a huge blockbuster. Love the move for both sides actually.

14 pts / 8 reb / 6 asts / 1.2 blk / 2.8 TO on 44% shooting

Jonas Jerebko!!! I believe!!!

Celtics 4-3 Mavs

Hoping Klay retires a Warrior - don't care about the price.
Couldn't give an F about Champions League if it means Arsenal wins the title.

10. Movies, TV, books, games, whatever recommendations:
Rewatching the wire... it's aged so well
Hoff
General Manager

Post by Hoff »

My draft: very happy grabbing Kleber and Clarkson. I think they can be good pieces for future Mavericks’ teams. I also enjoyed grabbing PJ Hairston in 2nd round with NDL boosts. I really like Capela and Grant from the lotto. The Magic grabbing Randle at 9 is a steal.

I had 3 separate deals on the table to S&T Cousins, but he ended up going back to LA. Would’ve been a much different preseason. However, I like how the team is set up now after snagging Jason Thompson in FA, and Ryan Gomes who I plan on giving him good burn after always showing good stats.

I think Jrue and Whiteside can get even better. Would love even more improvement from MCW, D-Will, and Roberson. Maybe Kleber or Clarkson jump to A potential? Would love no drop from AK, Rudy, and Gomes.

Atlantic: Boston — run it back.
Central: Bucks — run it back as well.
Midwest: Mavs — I think we can get it done this season now that the Rockets lost Livingston. Spurs and Nuggs will be competitive.
Pacific: Blazers — them and Suns are really only teams competing this season.

Kings grabbing young, really good prospects for aging vets. Loved those trades for Jesse. AK can be had for similar…

I’m looking at him having a double-double but with high turnovers

Give me Ryan Gomes or D-Will pleaseeeeee

Boston 2 - 4 Dallas

Biggest game at MSG in the last 25 years tonight

Fargo the tv show
Matt
Small Council

Post by Matt »

No picks this year, so didn't pay a ton of attention, but think Embiid is going to be the best player in the league in 4-5 years. Seems like he has the build to be an absolute gamewrecker on both sides of the ball, and usually those transcendent bigs are the best players in the league. Can't wait to see Jokic sim.

Successful offseason in terms of getting some value for some older guys on our roster and retaining Eddie Griffin, but we're gonna be worse this year without Dally. Never good when you miss the playoffs and then come out of the offseason worse...

Huge TC for Roco - if he regresses I will be a very very sad boy. Would love to see a little bump from Gorgui too, and anything from Batum would be a nice bonus.

Atlantic: Hipster pick - Heat! Betting on the PG leap from Dame
Central: Bucks - KD purr guud
Midwest: Nuggets, but this is prob most fun division! Excited to see the new look Spurs
Pacific: Suns - love to see Tyler pushing the chips in

I like the Spurs trade for TP! I was reticent to give up TP without getting Kawhi back, but Jordo was able to get his guy. Pretty nice deal for Jesse too, gets TP and then gets a better return than I got because he is a better GM than me...lots of sad boy vibes in Chicago recently

12 horses bought, 23 asshole comments to media that get replayed a million times on ESPN under the guise of "look how silly Jokic is", 0 Parades

Dame! Betting on the PG leap. Very fun vibes in Miami

Spurs over Bucks in 6

If I could mainline Caleb Williams content directly from The Athletic into my bloodstream I would. Also considering abandoning my Bulls fandom - Reinsdorf just abuses my loyalty and I may need to draw a line in the sand.

Tom Brady roast was electric, highly recommend