14-15 Team Awards

Post your written content here!
Joe
Small Council
14-15 Team Awards

Post by Joe »

TL;DR - free RPs for a quick post!

Get these done before the tip of next season!

Every year, every GM's got his studs and it's duds, his craftiest moves and most embarrassing flops. For 75RPs, fill out the answers to the following questions and post it in the thread - think of these as your post-season Dundies, awarding each of the first 4 to players on your team, and then reflect on some of the key moments from your year. Post these whenever! Just get em done by season tip. Offseason questionnaire will be posted later on.

Once you've posted, DO NOT claim your RP in the RP thread - we will calculate at the end.

TEAM AWARDS

MOST VALUABLE PLAYER:

DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR:

MOST IMPROVED:

SIXTH MAN:

BIGGEST SURPRISE:

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT:

TRADE/ACQUISITION OF THE YEAR:

REGRETS:
"It's great to see the Celtics doing well again, 'cause that was so much fun in my day to go to the Boston Garden and get spit at, get things thrown at you and talk about your mom. It sounds like dinner at Kenny Smith's house."
Merv
General Manager

Post by Merv »

MOST VALUABLE PLAYER:

Julius Randle. He was more or less at 20/10 per 36 and had better efficiency than I expected out of the gate. He had some games where he looked like an absolute monster and had a game where he shot 10 3s which was really interesting. Think I got lucky with him at 9. Probably should’ve gone 5th.

DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR:

John “Thinson” Henson. Had some pretty nice block/rebound games. Earned his spot over Festus last year as a developmental big and will likely stick around post tank

MOST IMPROVED:

Anthony Bennett. He actually got minutes this year. Some good some bad. But he’s sorta stocky and kinda interesting. Hoping for good TC

SIXTH MAN:

Made too many trades to really have one. I’ll roll with Milos Turnovadosic

BIGGEST SURPRISE:

Marcus Smart being such a menace defensively. Tied a team record with 8 steals in a game as a rookie. Had some games where he wrecked opposing PGs. Interested to see what it looks like in 3 years

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT:

Starting off 7-9 through 20 days. Although, we turned it around to 13-51 over the last 100 days. Just dug a deeper tank hole than we wanted to deal with.

TRADE/ACQUISITION OF THE YEAR:

The trade up in the draft for Randle. He’s been the most fun young player I think I’ve ever had. Wasn’t like I won in terms of value but I just think he has a chance to be a really big piece in whatever we do in the future. Runner up was the Marion/Pau/Sasha deal that opened the door for the tanking to 3rd best odds

REGRETS:

Signing Elton and Channing Frye for RP trades. While the RP was nice, the wins most definitely were not. Channing Frye is a tankers nightmare as GX can now attest.
Josh
The Champ

Post by Josh »

MOST VALUABLE PLAYER: Nurkic. Has there ever been a rookie 6MOTY before? 20 year old with 2 stocks and 9 boards in 28 minutes a game. Thought about going with Capela here who is also 20 and with A potential, but nurkic looks like the better player so far.

DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR: Nurkic. see above.

MOST IMPROVED: Gonna go with the opposite (most worsened? what is the word for that?) and say raymond felton who became the tank captain I needed. His efficiency dropped off while volume stayed the same and his turnovers got worse. Love him.

SIXTH MAN: Nurkic. see ^^^

BIGGEST SURPRISE: Dante exum lighting it up in the ndl. After 1 sim he was at 30 ppg at 50% shooting and I was rock hard. The efficiency came down to 45% over time but stille exciting.

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT: Capela's blocks. His notes said multiple blocks a game, and his scouting report backed it up. Confusing he only got a board a game. I am now realizing he may need to play center. Will play around with it next season.

TRADE/ACQUISITION OF THE YEAR: I made 0 trades this year. I think my best draft pick was nurkic at 14.

REGRETS: None. Ready to get back into sln
tonger
General Manager

Post by tonger »

MOST VALUABLE PLAYER: Had four very important players this year, but have to give it to DERON!!! Was the only constant in a ton of roster experimentation and took a huge leap in efficiency. HE'S A TOP 10 PG FOLKS!!

DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR: Bosh. Another season as a stock monster. Played well next to both TMac and Eddie.

MOST IMPROVED: Deron. He heard all the talk about not being a full time PG... proved all the haters wrong.

SIXTH MAN: Drummond. Korolev and Jerebko make strong cases as well, but they rotated in as starters much more than Drummond.

BIGGEST SURPRISE: Jerebko. Believed he was good but he's one of the most underrated players in the league. Doesn't show up in boxes but holds opposing SFs to

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT: Korolev not stepping up hard into the starting SG role. Thought it was his year to shine, but he might be capped out as a sixth man.

TRADE/ACQUISITION OF THE YEAR: Roy for TMac. Took the Pacers to a new level, and also enabled the TMac for Eddie move.

REGRETS: Potentially trading TMac for Griffin...? We'll see...
mantypas/CavsCzar
General Manager

Post by mantypas/CavsCzar »

TEAM AWARDS - CAVS!

MOST VALUABLE PLAYER: I'm going to go with guys that ended the year on the roster. Would've been Jeremy Lin, but I moved him for some juicy picks and a very intriguing prospect. I'll go with Harrison Barnes over Lavine. Lavine scored more, but was a little less efficient and turned it over more. Harrison Barnes looks like a competent NBA player, so I guess it took three years. His super camp definetly helped as he shot pretty efficiently (44.5% from the field and 42% from 3) as a top option

DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR: Nerlens Noel - Stock monster (2 blocks and 1.2 steals per game in only 26 minutes a game)

MOST IMPROVED: Barnes - his PPG only went up by 2, but he is a far more efficient shooter, going from a 40% from the field gu to almost 45%, and 34% from three to almost 42%

SIXTH MAN: Tried out a lot of different sixth men this year. I'll say Ryan Anderson - he is a scoring and FT machine.

BIGGEST SURPRISE: How soon Linsanity came and how good he was even without it. I think its tough to win with him as one of your better players without linsanity due to his lack of defense and turnover issues, but my god was he incredible during linsanity, and super efficient shooting without.

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT: Winning so many games early on. Even with injuries, we were pretty good, making me think we could sneak into the playoffs next year with a good offseason, good TC, some signed FAs and some regression from the older teams in the east

TRADE/ACQUISITION OF THE YEAR: Either getting the bulls picks and Kyle Anderson for Lin (i think that has a lot of value and Anderson played pretty good at the backup 1-5 when I let him), or buying low on Ryan Anderson and letting him run the PF position with all my injuries. Hope to retain him in the FA, but obviously not at what he thought he was worth (sorry Ryan)

REGRETS: None - lets ride
Clinton
General Manager

Post by Clinton »

MOST VALUABLE PLAYER: Tobias Harris / Mike Muscala

DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR: RIP / Shump / Wilsahn

This award really goes to our perimeter defenders as a whole. They definitely caused issues for other teams. Sad times to see them all go but they deserve to be on better teams or i believe in RIPs case, retirement and an assistant coaching job.

MOST IMPROVED: Mike Muscala (NDL)

Muscala was the real MVP of the Santa Cruz Warriors and i think Delly knows it. His stats from year 1 to 2 are absurd and he did it all in 3 less regular season games(truly giving me Brook Lopez injury scare flashbacks).

SIXTH MAN: Iman Shumpert

Shump, shump, shump… i give you such a good role and the best PT of your career and you dont offer to resign. I was going to give you camps you slut. Now what? Back to Merv’s Magic? Regardless, Iman did his thing as a backup 1/2 and maybe couldve been backup 1-3? Von who?

BIGGEST SURPRISE: Norvel Pelle / Shump / Brandon Knight?

Norvel Pelle looks legit. In the small sample size where he got heavy mins during a sim bc of foul trouble or random injuries he was getting boards with the best of them. Low turnovers and even went 1/1 on 3 pointers this year. We might be camping the “actually has C pot” top 7 player in the draft file.

Uhm do we realize that Brandon Knight can ball? I get he is a meme at this point but he isnt the blackhole we all see him as. Some of his statlines surprised me.

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT: None

TRADE/ACQUISITION OF THE YEAR: Uhm, ill give to Taj and Mbah bc they offered to resign.

Looking at my roster, i realized how much turnover I had this year. I traded damn near everyone who was on the team at the beginning of the year away. I had about 4/5 decent PGs (IT, Ty, Bassy, Ridnour? Maybe more?) at one point who are now all gone. Larry, Andray, Lavoy, Bobby…i think other players as well.

REGRETS: A Lot
8-) Santa Cruz Warriors NDL Champs: 8-)
2008, 2012, 2014
Clinton
General Manager

Post by Clinton »

Bump so people know this is still a thing
8-) Santa Cruz Warriors NDL Champs: 8-)
2008, 2012, 2014
jwoo
General Manager

Post by jwoo »

MOST VALUABLE PLAYER: Shaun Livingston

Turns out Shaun is the fuckin truth and never needed an inside offense to thrive lol, he was insanely good but we just weren't good enough/experienced enough around him. But yeah no question here.

DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR: Shaun Livingston

Shaun is also my best defender lol.

MOST IMPROVED: Shaun Livingston

Shaun also had the most improvement statistically in a new context, lol. Wild!

SIXTH MAN: Idk, Glen Rice or Joe Ingles

My bench was shuffling all season but these two guys (finished out as starters) had good moments. Hard award to give since we had so much turnover.

BIGGEST SURPRISE: Our team eating a lot of shit in the first half

I thought we'd be better — had some really great flashes in the first 60 days but it didn't feel like things were clicking defensively and I ended up trading Lou and Hayward and Granger to avoid having to hand out long-term money (and to frenzy). It was a big bummer of a season but the slate is pretty clean for us still moving forward.

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT: Our team eating a lot of shit in the first half

See above. Oh well.

TRADE/ACQUISITION OF THE YEAR: Livingston

Was sad to move Rubio who was a lot of fun but I think Livingston at least gives me a real window to build a contender here, getting him at a pretty cheap cost all things considered was massive for us.

REGRETS: None

It sucked to blow things up so fast but I think it was probably the right call to stay flexible. But it was a bummer of a season in Toronto
Nav
Small Council

Post by Nav »

MOST VALUABLE PLAYER: Trey Burke
20/8 on solid splits and much-improved AST:TO. He was the main reason we didn't lose more games last year. Nabbing 11 POTG was impressive given our anemic record.

DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR: Victor Oladipo.
2.4 steals per game as a second-year player is awesome. He's still got A Potential and another +16 in RCs left, so I'm hoping he can get to both A Outside and A Defense by the end of his rookie deal. His man-to-man defense must also be really good, judging by box scores where he shut down some opposing star wings over the course of the year.

MOST IMPROVED: Trey Burke.
After going +5 in TC, his performance significantly improved to the point where I think he could be a legit top-10 PG in SLN at some point in the not-too-distant future. He's also got another +16 in RCs left, so I am hoping he can be our starting PG when we flip the switch to contention.

SIXTH MAN: Langston Galloway.
LG also went +5 in TC and showed promise as a rookie, especially on the defensive end. I think he should be a pretty solid backup 1-2 at worst, and maybe a good two-way starter if he catches some more breaks in TC and his RCs take.

BIGGEST SURPRISE: Catching fire at the end of the year thanks to our young Burke-Dipo backcourt. Those two guys single-handedly won us like five games that we had no business winning, which also cost us a shot at #1 lotto odds.

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT: Sliding in the lotto from #2 pre-lotto to #4 at draft. Felt like there was a meaningful drop-off after 4, so I was grateful that we didn't slide further and ended up with a guy I'm excited about in Myles Turner.

TRADE/ACQUISITION OF THE YEAR: Collective trade frenzy. Ended up boosting Embiid's Inside +5 and Jump Shot +3. Can't wait to see him sim.

REGRETS: None! Happy to see how the young squad is shaping up.
Joe
Small Council

Post by Joe »

TEAM AWARDS

MOST VALUABLE PLAYER: Beas God. Usage beast, rebounding beast, TO efficiency beast, best 1 on 1 player in the history of the sport.

DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR: Emeka Okafor. The difference in our team stats without him for half the season was astonishing. Perfect butt.

MOST IMPROVED: Marcus Thornton. Quickly became our best bench scorer - 22pp36 on 49/42 - and turnover efficiency improved a ton. He might be an option this coming year!

SIXTH MAN: If it's not Thornton, it's gotta be Jordan Hamilton - dude makes 2M a year and put up fantastic numbers in 18 minutes a game. One of the best unsung values in the league on that deal!

BIGGEST SURPRISE: Winning Rock, Paper, Scissors to get Larry Sanders after being down 1-0. I have like a 25% career winning percentage in RPS

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT: Getting bounced in the first round by the Heat. Rivalry is back on!

TRADE/ACQUISITION OF THE YEAR: Big Larry!

REGRETS: Not making frenzy moves - was too busy that weekend to look at SLN but would have loved that +8.
"It's great to see the Celtics doing well again, 'cause that was so much fun in my day to go to the Boston Garden and get spit at, get things thrown at you and talk about your mom. It sounds like dinner at Kenny Smith's house."