General Manager
Team by Team Look at the Offseason

Post by Merv »

Teams Near the HC or Sub MLE
Boston
Total Salary: $80,642,453
21st Pick
Key FAs: None
Boston looks like they won't have the MLE to add to the roster. We know Joe is desperate to make some moves but only if you're willing to take back someone not named Paul or Michael. I think the most likely upgrade is to find a better PG but am not really sure who is going to trade a really good PG and take back Harris and his contract. Could CP3 be a Bostonian? Joe's only real avenue to improve in FA is the LLE so he'll either need some good fortune on sniping a guy.

Charlotte
Total Salary: $84,451,707
No 1sts
Charlotte is basically hard capped before the offseason even begins. I think we may finally be in a spot where Primoz gets moved. Another option is to do something with Rudy Gay who looks to have really turned himself into a positive asset. The guy is pretty damn good these days! The rest of this team is probably pretty stuck unless Jack starts blowing it up or really leveraging.

Denver
Total Salary: $85,093,784
No 1sts
Key FAs: Fabricio Oberto
Another team hard capped before the offseason starts. Kipke will likely be pretty aggressive in making a move or two to turn this into a sustainable ship after a tremendous season derailed by Linsanity. Should be pretty interesting to see how he does it. Fun stuff ahead in the Mile High City! Thabo or Perk will likely be the casualty if the big 3 aren't broken up.

Utah
Total Salary: $82,068,636
No 1sts
Key FAs: Thaddeus Young
Ralph probably has to let Thad go in order to keep the other guys together. Dahntay is currently on the block shortly after getting hyped up only a few seasons after basically being Ben Gordon. Somehow that contract has aged pretty well, kudos to Ralph. Al Hefty resigned to a sweetheart contract leaving one more big resigning with Marvin Williams next season. If Ralph can turn Dahntay into 2 good players, I like the Jazz odds. Otherwise, we're back to 6 guys and some mins in Utah. Best of luck with their LLE!

Sacramento
Total Salary: $83,601,889
19th/26th Picks
Key FAs: Reece Gaines (Somehow a key FA)
Sacramento is over the hard cap if they keep these picks. KCP will be on his way from Stockton. Jesse's offseasons are kind of pointless to discuss because he'll make like 5 trades and have Boban and 13 new guys by Day 1. SAC could obviously use a better PG and will figure out a way through. Expect him to be very wheely-dealy!

Over the Cap, With MLE
Miami
Total Salary: $52,275,813
No 1sts
Key FAs: Andrew Bogut, Marcin Gortat, Tyler Hansbrough
A run to the ECF thus far! Now Scoops' entire front court is on the FA market and mark some of the biggest FAs out there in Gortat and Bogut. Scoops will have roughly $32M to spend up to the hard cap. It'll likely be enough to bring his two centers back but you can never trust these tankers to not offer something absurd for a big. If he can keep his bigs, I think Scoops runs it back and hopes for organic development from Klay and Dame.

New Jersey
Total Salary: $59,588,897
13th Pick
Key FAs: JJ Redick, Shane Battier
Huge resignings from Lou Will and Kemba for the Swamp Lord. Now it'll be interesting to see if Steven can retain JJ and turn Shane or a different player into a large expiring. The Nets probably need to be careful adding real long term salary with Anthony Davis needing a deal soon but a short term large deal for a vet could be key to a step forward in New Jersey.

Philadelphia
Total Salary: $71,094,938
No 1sts
Key FAs: Jerryd Bayless
Different year, same story. The 76ers have very limited means and some old guys. They'll be looking to add to their core and bring LeBron the first title of his career. Willie Green is probably the vet most likely to move but he's also been dying a very slow death so DMo might struggle to find some takers.

Washington
Total Salary: $64,095,130
14th Pick
Key FAs: Lou Amundson
To tear it down or not to tear it down, that is the question. We spoke on the most recent pod about the Bullets (Check it out, Steven steals the show) and some potential options on the table. I think CP3 could be a nice PG for PHX, SAC, MIL, NYK, and a few others. Manu probably makes the most sense in MIN. It'll be a tricky tear down but might finally be time. If Weston continues this current course, Washington will look to bring back Lou Amundson just above the MLE, sign a big expiring, and try to acquire a starting caliber wing or center without moving picks or RP as is the Weston way.

Chicago
Total Salary: $68,147,338
No 1sts
Key FAs: Nicolas Batum, Andrew Bynum
Some very interesting FAs here. The Bulls can't even offer the LLE with their coring rights so they'll have to pray he takes that or offer an MLE/LLE and hope for the best. With Batum, Kipke thinks he has a case to be an overpaid max. I can''t wait to see where Batum comes in in terms of salary. He has really taken some steps forward and looks to finally be living up to his lofty draft status. Outside of these FAs, Matt will steal the best MLE on the market as it seems he always does. McCants will stick around for another year because no one is willing to pay up to Matt's valuation. OJ Mayo could be an interesting name to watch as someone Matt uses to upgrade a different part of the team.

Detroit
Total Salary: $54,885,913
No 1sts
Key FAs: Kyrie Irving (RFA), Kobe Bryant
Does Kyrie smile or frown? HUGE RFA coming. I might have a pretty spicy Kyrie offer already teed up... Kobe is likely to retire but if he doesn't will be key to Detroit staying solid. RB only has one other bird rights guy in Jeremy Evans to use as salary to improve. RB has generally traded all his assets and is locked into some vets. He'll need to pull a rabbit out of his hat this offseason or pray for a massive TC for Draymond Green. The vultures *ahem PHX* are circling Kyrie in the event there are no rabbits in hats.

Indiana
Total Salary: $55,512,536
No 1sts
Key FAs: Eddie Griffin, Yaroslav Korolev
Amazing season in Indiana. Deron Williams with an incredible season. Getting TMac straight up for Brandon Roy lifted the ceiling for the Pacers to title contenders. TMac turned into Eddie Griffin giving him the Twin Tongers as they wrecked front courts all across the land! Bringing back Eddie will be quite the predicament for Tong. I think Eddie is probably the best FA on the market and will garner max offers from all of the room teams. Tong has generally avoided vets on big long term money so this will be an interesting story to watch play out. Meanwhile, Korolev took a huge step forward this year in his starting role and will be a popular MLE target. Tong bought a year of time with Jimmy's extension but there are some huge decisions to make and could be some big shoes to fill in Indiana after this wonderful year.

Milwaukee
Total Salary: $76,379,402
No 1sts
Key FAs: Jason Richardson, Jeff Green
With just about $8.5M to use to improve the roster, Derek has his work cut out for him. Gilbert is on a giant contract and has been really starting to show his age. Jamal isn't getting any younger and is entering the final year of his deal. LaMarcus, a proper Milwaukee mainstay, is also entering the final year of his deal and will most likely be the centerpiece of a deal to bring in a new partner in crime for Kevin Durant if Derek so chooses. Could this be a year where the Bucks get super active? If this were real life, Kevin Durant and the folks at First Take would be all over the Bucks organization for his lack of a ring. Don't make Swampin' A. Smith come after you Derek!

Toronto
Total Salary: $48,625,223
17th, 23rd, 25th Picks
Key FAs: Kwame Brown, Jamario Moon, George Hill
JWoo is one of many in this league with an itchy trigger finger to improve this offseason. He's got some really fun prospects, a bunch of picks, and can create some big salaries this FA. I think the Raptors could be one of the most active teams this offseason. Shaun Livingston is a top 10 player in SLN and needs a chance to win another title.

Dallas
Total Salary: $56,847,693
No 1sts
Key FAs: Andrei Kirilenko, Amare Stoudemire
A bid to go all defense led to a first round exit as a victim of Sir Tony Parker. Jrue and Whiteside look like pillars of a long time Western Conference contender. AK47 should be easily retained by Hoff if he's willing to pay him above the max, but if he decides to get cute, well...you can ask Nolan about Shaun Livingston. Hoff wants to deal and has some fun prospects in Clarkson and MCW as well as all his firsts. I'll believe he wants to pay up when I see an offer instead of a Hoffer, but if there was ever a time to go for it, this is it!

Houston
Total Salary: $48,673,639
27th Pick
Key FAs: Brandon Roy, Rajon Rondo
Nolan has already said he's open for business and has arguably the two best trade chips on the market in Eddy Curry and Blake Griffin. He's still out of his picks so he'll need some decent win-now players in return. I think Eddy and Blake could go for some real hauls, especially when you realize how many teams are trying to improve vs. the amount that are taking a step back (seems like 0). If Nolan opts not to trade these guys, bringing back Roy is a priority as is finding a real PG not named Rondo.

Minnesota
Total Salary: $67,065,026
9th Pick
Key FAs: Marcus and Markieff Morris
Minnesota has a few nice sized expirings, a ton of RP, most of their picks, and incentive to improve. Pankin can ring some wedding bells and go hunting for another ring! Giannis looks amazing already and has camps and strength to come. James Harden is just okay for what we all thought he could be but is interesting. If Pankin can add in another legit guy, Minnesota could take a real leap. Maybe some expirings for Manu????

San Antonio
Total Salary: $57,299,746
No 1sts
Key FAs: Kawhi Leonard (RFA), Danny Granger
Bringing back Kawhi is step 1 of the Spurs offseason. In the event Jordo got lucky and got Kawhi back below market, he'll have some space to sign Danny Granger. As it stands now, Danny is likely gone and Jordo will be on the hunt for a replacement wing. He has 2 bird rights guys to make it happen.

LA Clippers
Total Salary: $54,825,174
No 1sts
Key FAs: Nikola Vucevic
Still without their picks, the Clippers enter the offseason with a roster that disappointed this year and Nikola Vucevic untagged. Vuc took some nice steps forward this year and has some pretty ratings. Most of the Clippers talk revolves around DeMarcus Cousins since DeRozan/DRose have been talked to death. DMC is really good but not without his flaws. I think he could be the most valuable guy on the trade market if Bobby went that direction and could be used to flip what LAC has upside down to either set the stage for an eventual tank or for a retooling. Otherwise, Bobby has a bunch of bird rights guys to bring back on expirings and make some moves. I'd personally be trying to move DeRozan and bring in a better SG so he doesn't have to feature Rose.

Phoenix
Total Salary: $80,199,508
No 1sts
Key FAs: Elton Brand
Just enough under the HC to offer an MLE to add to the roster. Tyler is fiending to make a ton of moves and build a champion around Jokic. He has a ton of picks and will part with anything but the DET ones I'm sure. His contracts are pretty stuck with Darko and Wafer being the only bigger expirings to deal. I have fully confidence in Tyler to work some trades as he always does but he's definitely starting with a harder hand to deal with than you'd like. Brandon Jennings feels like he could be pretty difficult to move, especially if you're trying to market him as a positive asset. I think SG/PF will be the positions Tyler tries to improve upon. Maybe JJ Redick returns to the desert!?

Portland
Total Salary: $65,974,375
No 1sts
Key FAs: Ben Gordon, Leon Powe
Two huge FAs for what Portland does. Ben Gordon has been a highly efficient scoring guard for the Portland offense at a pretty fair market deal. I think there's a chance he goes relatively under the radar in FA and Quady gets him back for about what he was on. Leon Powe, on the other hand, is quietly one of the best back up bigs in SLN. This guy should have all of the MLE offers and is known to resign cheaply. Regarding the rest of the roster, Al Horford is a mensch and offered a sweetheart deal to resign. Yi Jianlian is probably the core guy most likely to move since he has a nice salary and can be combined with the POR 21 FRP to bring in a more dynamic player.

Room Teams
New York
Room Under the Salary Cap: $38,932,798
2nd, 24th Picks
Key FAs: Tayshaun Prince
I'm not sure when we get an answer on Embiid's stip, but if Nav gets favorable news, he could be really aggressive and try to flip this thing ASAP. Jokic just led a team to the 2nd round as a rookie and Embiid looks like he has amazing ratings. I think depending on who he does or doesn't snipe on day 1, Nav could be one of the most volatile GMs this offseason.

Orlando
Room Under the Salary Cap: $28,399,841
3rd, 12th Picks
Key FAs: LOL
We're big game hunting and flipping. The tank continues

Atlanta
Room Under the Salary Cap: $9,030,212
No 1sts
Key FAs: Joakim Noah, Jonas Valanciunas, Andre Iguodala, Luol Deng
Heimer enters the offseason with some really big FAs and a bit of room under the salary cap. In an ideal world, he gets lucky and signs someone like Ben Gordon for $9M before he gets Noah, Jonas, and Iggy to resign. The Hawks have to be tired of almost being good enough and will likely be very aggressive. Brad Beal looks like he has a very bright future alongside Russell Westbrick. Would be interesting to see Heimer get lucky on an FA then bring some of these guys back on expirings to wheel and deal. I'm not sure what the ideal team build is with Russ but I do think his bigs are finally maturing enough that he has a chance to compete with this roster.

Cleveland
Room Under the Salary Cap: $19,931,475
7th, 15th Picks
Manty wants to get better. After bringing in 2 firsts, he'll be around $15M in salary cap room. This puts him in the Danny Granger/Marcin Gortat zone. Expect PasDaSauce to be very aggressive to bring in a PG, such as Chris Paul. I think a PG and a front court player will be the primary objectives of Manty's offseason to take a step forward.

Vancouver
Room Under the Salary Cap: $27,246,010
1st, 11th, 18th, 22nd, 29th Picks
Josh has 5 firsts and will not realistically be able to roster them all. Expect him to consolidate or sell one or two of these picks. Otherwise, he'll be in the snipe and flip market like Orlando.

Golden State
Room Under the Salary Cap: $21,783,625
5th, 8th, 20th, 28th Picks
Key FAs: Iman Shumpert
Tobias came back at a pretty reasonable number. Clint will make sure Shump doesn't leave. At 5 and 8, he's got a decent shot of moving up in the lotto which would give Clint his first real deal guy to build around. I think he'll be a player for the Granger and Ben Gordon types in the sign and trade wars. Probably still a bit away before a real switch flip.

LA Lakers
Room Under the Salary Cap: $24,513,265
4th, 10th Picks
Ricky Rubio and Channing Frye got really hot at the end of the season and cost GX a shot at the 3rd best lotto odds. GX probably needs another year of the suck but is actively working his way out of the tank. Rubio was pretty solid this year and CJ McCollum showed real signs of life. Expect GX to be aggressive with his FA bids after his success last year in stealing Shaun Livingston.

Seattle
Room Under the Salary Cap: $29,527,208
6th, 16th Picks
Key FAs: Shawn Marion, Caron Butler
CONGRATS ON THE WEDDING NICK!!!!! No offseason for you, just partying and honeymooning!
Tyler
General Manager

Post by Tyler »

It is mind blowing that we are in 2015 and Fabricio Oberto is a key FA
Clinton
General Manager

Post by Clinton »

Takes two to tango in trading up and down so its very unlikely. You can have Shump back, he clearly doesnt wanna stay in the Bay
8-) Santa Cruz Warriors NDL Champs: 8-)
2008, 2012, 2014
Merv
General Manager

Post by Merv »

Clinton wrote: June 7th, 2024, 10:34 am Takes two to tango in trading up and down so its very unlikely. You can have Shump back, he clearly doesnt wanna stay in the Bay
I meant purely in terms of moving up via the Lotto. 5/8 seem to be the areas where jumps come from
Clinton
General Manager

Post by Clinton »

Merv wrote: June 7th, 2024, 10:38 am
Clinton wrote: June 7th, 2024, 10:34 am Takes two to tango in trading up and down so its very unlikely. You can have Shump back, he clearly doesnt wanna stay in the Bay
I meant purely in terms of moving up via the Lotto. 5/8 seem to be the areas where jumps come from
Just gave me the old “its their year” for the lotto…smdh lmao
8-) Santa Cruz Warriors NDL Champs: 8-)
2008, 2012, 2014
mantypas/CavsCzar
General Manager

Post by mantypas/CavsCzar »

Great article. No lie, I had a similar idea of offseason checklists on a Division by division basis and began writing it (even told Clint about it yesterday). I only got thru 2 teams in the Atlantic, but will likely finish up my Atlantic division write up at some point this weekend and post it. Its a lot of work so give this man a bunch of RP!
jwoo
General Manager

Post by jwoo »

mantypas/CavsCzar wrote: June 7th, 2024, 10:41 am Great article. No lie, I had a similar idea of offseason checklists on a Division by division basis and began writing it (even told Clint about it yesterday). I only got thru 2 teams in the Atlantic, but will likely finish up my Atlantic division write up at some point this weekend and post it. Its a lot of work so give this man a bunch of RP!
write it anyway!
Hoff
General Manager

Post by Hoff »

Room Teams S&Ts!!!!
SWAMP STEVEN
General Manager

Post by SWAMP STEVEN »

So comprehensive, dayum
*DJ DRAMA VOICE* OH YOU HEARD THE RUMORS [GANGSTA GRIZZILLZ] IT’S A MOTHERFUCKIN SWAMPSTORY!

*lighter flick* Never talk to the cops I don’t speak piglatin / I turned the Nets into the motherfuckin Swamp Dragons 🐉 🐲
Josh
The Champ

Post by Josh »

why can't i roster all 5 FRPs?