1996-97 Offseason Questionnaire (Archive)

Post your written content here!
heimer
General Manager
1996-97 Offseason Questionnaire (Archive)

Post by heimer »

TL; DR: More free RP for a quick post!

In addition to Team Awards, GMs can earn a quick and dirty 100RP by filling out the below questionnaire - not required, but why not? Copy down the questions in a reply post and fill 'em out. Can be serious, can be funny, whatever you want. Then claim your RPs in the RP thread.

1996-97 Offseason Questionnaire

1. Draft thoughts? Sleepers, busts, your draft, other drafts, whatever.

2. How do you feel about your offseason, and what are your goals for this coming season?

3. What RC/TC improvements do you want to see from your team?

4. Who wins each division and why?

Atlantic:
Central:
Midwest:
Pacific:

5. What player (not on your team) do you value more than other GMs?

6. Who is your main rival team/GM in SLN? Why?

7. What players and/or teams do you think will breakout this season and why?

8. Excluding NBA players, if you were creating a player(s) for the 98 draft how would they look (list name, age, height, weight, ratings)? Can be anything from 1998 - a pop culture figure, a character from a movie released that year, a player drafted in a different sport, your dad, whoever.

9. Thoughts on your real life sports team(s).

10. Movies, TV, books, games, whatever recommendations.

Bonus: add a pic/gif of how you feel about your season
Last Edit: Oct 17, 2022 at 9:35am by The Transfer Portal
Joe
Small Council

Joe Avatar

Oct 12, 2022 at 8:53pm Tyler and heimer like thisQuotelikePost OptionsPost by Joe on Oct 12, 2022 at 8:53pm

Having an early lotto pick I didn't pay as much close attention to the middle of the first round, but I definitely think there were some sleepers in there. I liked Derek Anderson, Anthony Parker and Kelvin Cato a lot. Towards the top, I'm absolutely thrilled to get TMac but I agree with Matt that camping him is a lot trickier (and requires a bit more luck) than Duncan.

2. How do you feel about your offseason, and what are your goals for this coming season?

The offseason was uneventful, as we've secured our core of young talent and we're not making a ton of moves beyond getting these boys camped and developed in the NDL. I'm thrilled that McInnis will get some D-League time with the Red Claws and won't spend any of his time winning the Celtics games. We're doing one more season of tanking, so one more lotto pick, one more camp for Kobe, one year closer to TMac's supercamp, and this team will be ready to rock and roll.

I would love to see a bump in Kobe's outside. I'm camping his jumpshot and 3PT - I think he will naturally develop plenty of volume so I'm not too worried about camping that stuff right now, but we've see how dominant A outside wings can be in Reggie Miller. Similar thing with McInnis - he's clearly got the volume, but both he and Mamba's three balls stink. If McInnis can get up to B+ or A- in the next couple of seasons (with his NDL boost incorporated), I think he'll be one of the more dangerous PGs in the game.

Atlantic: Knicks. Reigning champs only improve by swapping out Rodman for a newer, better model.
Central: Hawks. I think the Hornets are great, but they overachieved a little bit last year and are a year older, while Atlanta remains young and improving.
Midwest: Timberwolves. This division is a mess, but someone's gotta win it. As we saw in the playoffs, the Twolves are for real - if they can string together 1-2 quality moves they should be a contender. The Rockets should give them a run for their money, though.
Pacific: Suns. Another year, another 70 win season for these guys. Barring injury they should still be the title favorites.

Gary Trent Jr. of the Spurs. We literally never talk about this guy, but he was a 6th round pick in the creation draft that ended up averaging 20 and 8 with only 1.5 TO on 48% shooting!! And he's only 23?? He should be in the conversation with some of the other top 1-3 year experience guys that were taken in the first and second round.

At this point, I gotta say Weston and the Bullets. When the Knick's Reign of Terror is over and the Magic start rebuilding, I think it's going to be us and Washington competing for the Atlantic, as our team trajectories are pretty aligned age-wise. Mamba, McGrady and McInnis against Ray Ray and Timmy. Should be quite a show.

I like the Pistons here - they've got 4 guys listed with A potential, so some of them are bound to pop. 'Toine is looking like a pretty cool player and Stephen Jackson has a ton of upside, I'm very much looking forward to seeing how their camps go. I think Fish will take a big step forward for Detroit this year.

8. Excluding NBA players, if you were creating a player(s) for the 98 draft how would they look (list name, age, height, weight, ratings)? Can be anything from 1998 - a pop culture figure, a character from a movie released that year, a player drafted in a different sport, your dad, whoever.

Bobby "Waterboy" Boucher PG 18 5'7'' C+ D- D+ A+ A- A

Was pretty hyped for the real life Celtics this year until our coach got suspended for being a diddler. At least it sounds like most of the diddling was consensual, but still overall pretty annoying, considering he's one of the main reasons we were in the finals last year. Ime never heard of bros before hoes, clearly. But there is hope in New England! Zappe is looking like a serviceable stopgap for the Pats while we wait for Mac Jones to stop faking his injury, and our defensive front looks incredible.

I'm a pretty big fan of the Rings of Power so far, strongly recommend for any fantasy nerds like me. Also loved the Dahmer show. Has kind of been a shit year for movies, although Top Gun was excellent.

Last Edit: Oct 12, 2022 at 8:56pm by Joe
heimer
General Manager

heimer Avatar

Member is Online

Oct 13, 2022 at 12:27pm Joe likes thisQuoteEditlikePost OptionsPost by heimer on Oct 13, 2022 at 12:27pm
GIF needs to be short video of T-Mac scoring 13 points in 33 seconds
heimer
General Manager

heimer Avatar

Member is Online

Oct 13, 2022 at 12:29pm QuoteEditlikePost OptionsPost by heimer on Oct 13, 2022 at 12:29pm
post questionnaire here or separate thread ?
Joe
Small Council

Joe Avatar

Oct 13, 2022 at 1:21pm QuotelikePost OptionsPost by Joe on Oct 13, 2022 at 1:21pm
heimer Avatar
Oct 13, 2022 at 12:29pm heimer said:
post questionnaire here or separate thread ?
Here! Just as a reply
Sonicks
General Manager

Sonicks Avatar

Member is Online

Oct 13, 2022 at 2:26pm Joe and bobby like thisQuotelikePost OptionsPost by Sonicks on Oct 13, 2022 at 2:26pm

Some nice depth in it. Curious to see how the NDL does in development. there will be some allstars in the middle and end of this draft.

"the dwarves delved too greedily and too deep" pretty much the bottom but ill see if i can get worse next year. Goals next year 1. dont get cucked in the lotto again 2. lose some games 3. finally fix that wobbly door in the basement 4. Play some warhammer and OS with the boys. 5. mine RP and avoid Balrogs

all three 3pt shootings to go through. outside shooting here i come... one day

Atlantic:Knicks
Central:Hornets
Midwest:Rockets
Pacific:Suns

Mookie Blaylock, sign this guy away from him. MAX HIM YOU FUCKS.

Phoenix Suns. I dont like their GM honestly, hes an asshole. its Borderline Personal. If i burn, the suns burn with me.

Peja will win NDL MVP because im desparate for talent. Suns dominate again and the Knicks do to.
Kobe steps up big time this year. Him and tmac will be nasty.

Charles Woodson - 6'1 210 PG - C C+ B A- C+ A
in a different reality, this kid played highschool basketball and decided to stick with it. Instead of going pro in football, he chose basketball instead. Mans the future HOF Defender and potential 2 way GOAT.

"What is dead may never die. But rises again, stronger and harder"

Graphic Novel - Ducks
Movies - Werewolf (disney +)
TV - Sandman (Netflix)
Games - Omega Strikers, Total War Warhammer, Divinity Original Sins 2, Lawn Darts
Whatever Recommendations - Blumpkins!

idk how and am too lazy to figure out, so... no
Joe
Small Council

Joe Avatar

Oct 13, 2022 at 2:56pm QuotelikePost OptionsPost by Joe on Oct 13, 2022 at 2:56pm
I lolled at balrogs.

for gifs/pics, right click and copy the image address (not the URL) and then use the insert image button (looks like a photo, next to the envelope) to paste.
Weston
General Manager

Weston Avatar

Member is Online

Oct 13, 2022 at 3:18pm Tyler likes thisQuotelikePost OptionsPost by Weston on Oct 13, 2022 at 3:18pm
1.Draft thoughts? Sleepers, busts, your draft, other drafts, whatever.
Ecstatic to get the 1st overall pick. Had to think a little between Tmac and Tim Duncan. Someones draft notes mentioned a lot of good bigs and limited elite wings which made Tmac more appealing. End of the day went with Timmy. Still hoping the Sonics come back and offer the world for him. Like the idea of sending Peja to NDL to secure another good young piece before the dynasty begins

Tough to improve my young guys while still trying to lose next season, hard balance to find in my first sim experience. Goals are to hopefully finish around 5-8th worst and jump the lotto again to hopefully snag Vince Carter or Dirk.

Hope Ray Allen can become the premiere 3pt shooter in the league. Would like to see Byron Russell take a step forward with his offensive production. Hard to gauge from box scores how much of impact he has on the defensive side outside of the stock stats.

Atlantic: Knicks, still has a loaded roster and appears to be a sim vetern
Central: Bulls, after trying to tank last year his young core was too strong to let that happen. I think now that hes trying to win they will have a decent chance at the division
Midwest: Rockets, strong end of season push last year along with developing some of his younger guys this offseason could lead to a strong next season
Pacific: Suns, super dominant last year, not much turnover, should be great again

Jeff McInnis, that damn Celtics GM doesn’t want to give him up for anything. Super exciting player with loads of potential. Boy are those steal/block stats sexy.

The Celtics/Joe and Bulls/Matt. Both have strong young cores who will be our biggest road blocks in the East.

Bulls are the team to watch. AI was electric and if he reduced his TOs will soon be a top PG. Along with some other great young guys (Garrett, Lenard) they could take a big step forward

Bill Clinton, SG, 52, 6’2”, 220, C A- B- C+ D+ F

Absolutely disastrous year for DC sports team. The Nats have gone full force tanking, hoping Bezos buys the team and starts a spending spree. Redskins/Commanders are still a joke, mostly because of Dan Snyder. Another hit piece was released today and can only hope the other owners force him out one way or the other. Caps are the only team with slightly expectations. Their core is now old and likely going to start dropping off. Wizards signed Bradley Beal to the max this season assuring they’ll be right around the 8 seed for the next 3-5 years. Never good enough to compete and never bad enough to pickup a useful draft pick.

N/a sim league has taken over most free time.

also unsure how all these witty sim regs have so many gifs at their disposal
Joe
Small Council

Joe Avatar

Oct 13, 2022 at 3:35pm Weston and heimer like thisQuotelikePost OptionsPost by Joe on Oct 13, 2022 at 3:35pm
No GM values any player more than I value Jeff McGettinHisBuckets
Mantypas
General Manager

Mantypas Avatar

Member is Online

Oct 13, 2022 at 5:39pm Weston likes thisQuotelikePost OptionsPost by Mantypas on Oct 13, 2022 at 5:39pm
Big Sleeper is Fabricio Oberto - guy is a winner, plays hard defense. I thought Peja went too low. Hot take - Maybe TMac's game does not fit the sim format, so i think a potential bust there

2. How do you feel about your offseason, and what are your goals for this coming season? - Not much has changed with my team, want internal growth from my young guys, and to trade a few vets for a couple first round picks

3. What RC/TC improvements do you want to see from your team? - More shooting and rebounding

Atlantic: Knicks - cant bet against MJ
Central: Cavs - though not probably, cant bet against myself
Midwest: Timberwolves - solid vet squad
Pacific: Suns - absolute powerhouse from last year

5. What player (not on your team) do you value more than other GMs? - Christian Laettner - I dont know why feel like his game is built forthe sim game being slightly above average

6. Who is your main rival team/GM in SLN? Why? Toronto and Vancouver because down with Canada

7. What players and/or teams do you think will breakout this season and why? - Wizards with tim Duncan should find immediate improvement

8. Excluding NBA players, if you were creating a player(s) for the 98 draft how would they look (list name, age, height, weight, ratings)? Can be anything from 1998 - a pop culture figure, a character from a movie released that year, a player drafted in a different sport, your dad, whoever. - Yoda - 3 feet tall, 85 lbs, 700 years old, C inside, b outside, A+ handles, C Defense, F Rebounding, A potential due to the high Bball IQ

9. Thoughts on your real life sports team(s). - Donovan Mitchell will help the young core alot, love the vets of rubio and love. Cleveland this is for you! If we are talking like my rooting teams, Im a big wizards and redskins fan, so dont really want to chat about that, though I think the wizards will be better than expected. Expecting leaps from Rui and Deni

10. Movies, TV, books, games, whatever recommendations. - Reading the hobbit, wathcing rings of power, hacks on HBO max is super funny
jwoo
General Manager

jwoo Avatar

Member is Online

Oct 13, 2022 at 6:48pm Tyler likes thisQuotelikePost OptionsPost by jwoo on Oct 13, 2022 at 6:48pm
1996-97 Offseason Questionnaire - RAPTORS

Surprisingly happy with my draft. Antonio Daniels at Round 2 pick 12 feels like a steal. I liked Bobby Jackson as a late first-rounder a lot. Wish I had been bad enough to get Duncan.

We're taking baby steps up here in Canada. I'd like to make the playoffs but my main goal has been not to do anything too drastic because I don't have a feel for how this works yet.

I don't really even understand how this shit works so I just hope my guys don't get worse

Atlantic: Knicks (MJ)
Central: Raptors (We the North)
Midwest: Rockets (literally just a random guess)
Pacific: Suns (they're good)

My personal idol Vlade Divac

The Grizzlies because they should move to Memphis and leave this country

Predicting big things from Chris Childs and BJ Armstrong... because I'd like to increase their trade value

Jerry Seinfeld - Age 44, Height 5-11, Weight 165, A- A- A- C C F (he's going off the air)

9. Thoughts on your real life sports team(s)

I am about to hate watch 15 minutes of tonight's Bears game

I actually think She-Hulk is kind of a good show?

Toronto Raptors The Raptor GIF - Toronto Raptors The Raptor Mascot GIFs

ANYTHING IS POSSIBLEEEEEEEEEEEE
Tyler
General Manager

Tyler Avatar

Member is Online

Oct 13, 2022 at 8:39pm QuotelikePost OptionsPost by Tyler on Oct 13, 2022 at 8:39pm
97 Offseason Questionnaire

I think Peja is going to be absolutely insane. I think there will be some serious arbitrage with no one having any idea how the NDL will work / translate to the SLN and I think Peja will be forever known as the NDL abuser. He's going to win MVP back to back years down there and be absolutely juiced out of his skull. Works perfect for the Sonics and their tank commanding but promising PG in Marbury so they can go for a star in the 1998 draft to complete a homegrown Big 3.

Speaking of young Big 3s, I think the Celtics are super fun with Kobe, T-Mac, and Jeff McInnis. I really don't have a feel for player development or how organically people develop but my knee-jerk noob reaction is that this team could turn out to be the most prolific high-octane offense this league will ever see or turn out be super underwhelming and meh depending how the player progression works. T-Mac is one of my top 10 favorite players of all time. I rocked both T-Mac 1 (white and blue) and T-Mac 2 (black and blue) in middle school so I am more than just a man of words--I am a man of action. If this young core pans out, I am glad the Suns are in the West.

My offseason is very boring and meh. Keep the gang together and pray my players don't regress too much. I have a serious trade itch so I may do something reckless and ruin my title chances--you've been warned.

Googs handling to improve hopefully. Dude is so damn cool.

Atlantic: Knicks
Central: Hornets
Midwest: Mavericks
Pacific: Suns

I think Ben Wallace is going to be a force on the boards and defense for a long time. I like the future of the Mavs team.

I'm torn between the Knicks and the Kings. Hate them both.

I think the Bulls because Matt looks like he's trying to pull some levers to win now and I hear he's a god GM in the sim underworld. Scary they won 43 games trying to lose.

Andre Rison, 6'1 SG -- A-, B-, A-, D-, B+

Stipulations: If Andre Rison suffers any injury caused by fire or heat, (burns, heat stroke, severe dehydration, inflamed appendix too, probably) then he can never play another SLN game again.

Mahomes is the only thing I root on harder than the SLN Suns.

Apex Legends--@me if you wanna run some games
Omega Strikers -- like a league of legends Mario Strikers is just an insanely awesome game

TheRealTPain's twitch stream also pops off.

1996-

Last Edit: Oct 13, 2022 at 8:40pm by Tyler
nolan
General Manager

nolan Avatar

Member is Online

Oct 14, 2022 at 11:57am Joe likes thisQuotelikePost OptionsPost by nolan on Oct 14, 2022 at 11:57am

Didnt pay much attention to the draft due to lack of FRP. I like Westons strategy of luckboxing his way into a sure fire HOFer, gonna try to do that in the future. Like the Shammgod pick from Kipke, why play a basketball sim league if your not gonna take some shots?

Not a particularly exciting off season for the Rockets, do to lack of a FRP, hoping camps turn out well. Goals are mainly to not get swept in the first round, closely followed by not trading away 4 FRPs for players that didnt increase our win percentage at all.

Crossing my fingers Jamal Mashburn can still develop into an All-NBA caliber wing. Put up solid numbers on good percentages, now looking to increase his volume especially from deep. Also hoping Clifford Rozier develops into a starting caliber center. No need for another Vlade shooting too much on the worst percentages in the league, just want a guy who will play D and rebound.

Atlantic: Knicks. Defending champ + MJ
Central: Bulls. If Matt picks up a couple pieces through trades I think they could be very good.
Midwest: Rockets. Well, I dont have any picks for a while so its not the time to blow it up yet.
Pacific: Suns. Best roster in the league, they nasty.

Juwan Howard. Third round pick and put up impressive numbers at only 23 years old. Will be the unsung hero for any future success the Celtics have.

Minnesota Timberwolves. Embarrassed me in the first round of the playoffs.

Think the Bulls could turn out a really good season. Also excited to see just how good Timmy D can be after being super camped, should be an instant MVP candidate imo.

Jay-Z 29 SG 6'2" 205 B A A C- C A

Lots of pain and suffering in the nations capital, at least we won the worst TNF game in recent memory. I will not rest until Snyder is deported.

House of the Dragon is incredible, has brought back my love for the first few seasons of GOT.

Zero Time SLN Champion
Small Council

Zero Time SLN Champion Avatar

Oct 14, 2022 at 1:59pm QuotelikePost OptionsPost by Zero Time SLN Champion on Oct 14, 2022 at 1:59pm

Happy to get Cato that late in the first - he seems like a high floor, low ceiling kind of guy but that's ok by me. Hopefully he can contribute early and often. Spoke about it on my pod but think Grizzlies had a great draft - they were lucky to stay in the top 3 to land Billups, and think Tony Battie went 6 or 7 picks too late.

Offseason has been quiet so far - it's tough to decide to go all in when the Knicks/Suns/Kings seem poised to be head and shoulders above everyone for the next couple years. But in year one, the plan was to tank, and that didn't go so well...so now we're going to try to compete and see how far our young core can get before bringing some veteran guns in to take us over the top.

I'm fully camping AI's handle, which he desperately needs...but I'm hopeful he will improve across a couple other areas as well (would love to see his outside or defense tick up naturally). But hopefully he can get his TO's into the high 2s/low 3s...which may be asking a lot for one year of improvement. Also hoping to see an inside jump for McKie and some positive movement for Lenard.

Atlantic: Knicks. Gotta roll with the defending champs
Central: Hornets. I think we have a very outside shot, but don't think Reggie/Stockton will decline enough for us to be able to overtake them.
Midwest: Rockets. Light division, think Nolan can hold serve one more year
Pacific: Suns. Even though they came up just short last year, should be the favorite to win it all

IDK, this is a hard question. I guess Shaq, based on the most recent pod? I think Shaq is probably the best player in the league and the most valuable player in the league.

Don't think I have one yet - in the other league, it's definitely the Lakers - so I'll just roll with that. Fuck you Jayant

I'm hopeful this is the year that we can break out! If AI can temper his TO problems and we find some big man help in free agency, I think we'll be in a decent spot. Also think Kobe has a huge TC and starts putting up eye-popping numbers for the Celtics this season.

Easy.

Jesus Shuttlesworth 19 SG 6'7 205 B- A- C C+ C A

Fun Bears game last night! I still believe in Fields, but I'm nervous he's not gonna make it through the end of the season. He's getting shalacked on every play. Just need him to survive and hopefully we can put some pieces around him in the offseason and spend for once.

Excited for Bulls season to start - especially because I'm living in Chicago now so I can watch all the games on local TV. Can't wait - though I wish we could figure out what's going on with Lonzo's knee.

I'm watching House of the Dragon now and give it a 3/10 i think, pretty disappointed. Watching The Morning Show with my girlfriend and was pleasantly surprised.

The Transfer Portal
Old Sim Man

The Transfer Portal Avatar

Member is Online

Oct 14, 2022 at 2:05pm bobby likes thisQuotelikePost OptionsPost by The Transfer Portal on Oct 14, 2022 at 2:05pm

Very fun initial draft! I think chauncey billups is going to be an SLN star. Perfect player for FBB. I am pretty pessimistic about Stephen Jackson and Ricky Davis. Very excited to see everyone sim.

I did nothing. I normally trade a TON, but am trying to be a good STEWARD so am sitting back and chilling on this squad of men. Looking forward to another good season and hopefully we can challenge the Suns a bit better this season.

Looking to hold the line. Would love to see Sam Cassell (ET) improve his outside shot, so he can be a more dependable 2nd or 3rd scoring option. Other than that, I just want Hakeem and Charles not to die.

Atlantic: Knicks - The champions got better. The trade with the 76ers was a disaster for everyone
Central: Hawks - Good squad with a motivated GM is a good recipe
Midwest: Rockets - Division is up for grabs, and HOU has the best win-now pieces
Pacific: King - Fuck the Suns!

Uh, I would say Ervin Johnson (Knicks via 76ers) based on the absurd price under which he was acquired. He's kind of the perfect big.

Kipke. We are finally in the same conference. This man started out with a good squad but tore it down because he has fear in his heart!

KG, Kobe, AI are all low-hanging fruit. I'm going to go with Chris Webber. He was disappointing in S1 but you have to imagine he was given big-time potential. I think he has a +3 TC and looks interesting next year.

Monica Lewinsky C- C- A+ A- D+ B. Great ball-handler. Pretty good defender.

Thoughts!

Haven't had a ton of time, mainly watching sports but H.O.D has exceeded expectations!
Welcome to Atlanta where the playas play
And we ride on dem thangs like ev-ery day
Big beats, hit streets, see gangstahs roamin'
And parties don't stop 'til eight in the Monin