Hoff - Mavs
No votes
Merv - Magic
5%

Total votes: 19

The Transfer Portal
Small Council

Post by The Transfer Portal »

Voted for Nav for pretty much all of the reasons Quady referenced. Was undefeated in his deals.

Kind of a weird year. Kipke is the clear #2 if he isn't #1, has a classic GMOTY "rebuild to contend" case, had the biggest year-over-year turnaround and crushed it on the edges, but I can't really get over his biggest move of the season.

I think Merv has a way better case to win this year than last year, when he actually won the award, but what do i know. I'd have him 3rd.

Mantypas had an underrated season. Hoff did fun things. Josh is the patient goat. Matt and Derek always crushing it. Nick contending as always. Etc. Etc.
Wes
General Manager

Post by Wes »

Voted for Kipke. Picked the right time to flip the switch and was able to pair his young studs with a prime Melo. He was also able to pickup some relatively cheap pieces to fill out the rest of his roster. With Steph and Boogie still getting better he'll have a scary team for the foreseeable future.

My runner ups are the Cavs and Magic. Cavs able to get back into contention without giving up any of his future picks. Magic for retooling between last year and this year. Feel like he's trending towards the Jesse sector of trades that I don't think will make a ton of difference but under the hood give him a bump
Josh
General Manager

Post by Josh »

I think Jesse generated the most value through his trades this season. Among other moves, he trades hart and okur for 4 picks, 900 RP and Jason Richardson. Can't get my vote though with a losing record.

Nav made material changes to his squad that will lengthen his window without sacrificing today. He's my #2.

I don't hold it against Kipke that his pick jumped because it was after he made the trade. Kipke has a great team that took creativity/complexity to build that will only get better (Melo is only 27!) Ignoring the pick jumping, I wonder if it would have been better to flip the switch after another year of development. He gets my vote.

I really liked Matt's, Sam's and Nick's smaller moves down the stretch to bolster the bench heading into the playoffs.
jwoo
General Manager

Post by jwoo »

Interesting year for GMOTY!

Think Kipke had the easiest case to evaluate, did a great job flipping into contention mode, with the one obvious mistake being a pretty tough one in not protecting the pick that became Kawhi, but the Nugs are in a really good spot moving forward and are probably in the most sustainable place of any of these candidates, so as I write this I think they probably get my vote. Deciding to flip the switch around Steph Curry wasn't necessarily a tough call, but it was the right one and it was well-executed, and having these Melo years rather than waiting for Kawhi to evolve just accelerates the winning timeline/pressure.

I loved what Josh did in doubling down and fielding a historically good team, and it takes some gumption to opt in on Chandler and Prince knowing it creates a flight risk for Pau and J-Will. Matt similarly did good things tinkering with a contender in Chicago and clearing the cap space to pay Parker while also upgrading to J-Rich from Maggette (an underrated pair of moves for RP). Quady had the quietest 61-win season ever, props to Portland. Nav probably won the transaction battle this season and repositioned the Knicks with a longer window without having to overleverage past 2015, so props to him for that as well, although the cap ramifications of taking on Crawford and Hamilton might eventually become annoying.

There was no perfect case this year to me, but a lot of people did good work as always, excited to see how the playoffs go
SWAMP STEVEN
General Manager

Post by SWAMP STEVEN »

The three-for-one FRP exchange between us drew a bunch of question marks, but Kipke was masterminding his way into a Melo/Steph dynasty. Happy to also see Jamison thriving in the Rockies instead of gurgling the Swampwater
*DJ DRAMA VOICE* OH YOU HEARD THE RUMORS [GANGSTA GRIZZILLZ] IT’S A MOTHERFUCKIN SWAMPSTORY!

*lighter flick* Never talk to the cops I don’t speak piglatin / I turned the Nets into the motherfuckin Swamp Dragons 🐉 🐲
SoNicks
General Manager

Post by SoNicks »

SWAMP STEVEN wrote: March 6th, 2024, 12:28 pm I Love gurgling the Swampwater
Clinton
General Manager

Post by Clinton »

I love hitting vote before reading any posts and knowing that most of us are in agreement.

Kipke you deserve the GMOTY award and its a landslide. Truly the only person i saw on that list and knew unequivocally they won the award.

Did i piss him off by not being clear at the deadline? For sure…am i his enemy now? Im on the edge of my seat to find out. Regardless, Kipke has been hunting the entire year since trading for Melo to continue to upgrade his OP squad. For me, the baseline for going from suck to good is the Nav-Kidd draft day trade. And me thinks we have a new baseline of going from suck to good.

Dont you love that you read this whole post and i didnt include any factual evidence? Ggs
8-) Santa Cruz Warriors NDL Champs: 8-)
2008, 2012, 2014
mantypas/CavsCzar
General Manager

Post by mantypas/CavsCzar »

I voted Kipke just due to the big balls nature of his trades, the massive delta in Wins between from lst year and this year, and just roster construction of heavy scoring and rebounding. What a season for the nugs.

I think those deserving of consideration are Merv, for making awesome Clack and Joe Johnson trades, probably one of the stronger 5 seeds we will see in terms of net rating, and Nick, for getting major value out of someone he wouldnt be able to keep (BRoy), and getting solid role players for pretty cheap who fit his team (PJ Tucker, Batum, and the Vaj man). Shoutout to Quady, Josh, and Matt for having absolute fucking juggernauts of squads too
Kipke
The Champ

Post by Kipke »

I voted for Merv. As someone who also had a ton of cap space going into this past offszn, I was watching the other cap flex teams pretty closely and really dug every move he made. Ate the DWill contract on a song value. snagging back expiring Elton Brand who had the best year of his (storied!) career. The depth addition trades of Joseph Johnsonious and Kristof Clackalack were primo as well. Definite elite league pass team, not the least to say a playoff team.

I also thought Nav had a strong case as well with the Crawford acquisition in particular being a hammer of a move.

I also liked what Mantypas did in Cleveland swinging moves and making the most out of a less-than ideal setup.

Clinton—it’s all love in SLN man <3
Hoff
General Manager

Post by Hoff »

I voted for Nav in a very weak GMOTY voting. In each one of Nav’s trades he won, albeit they were all relatively small trades compared to what we’ve seen in the past. The Crawford acquisition was a fun one basically replacing Chauncey with Crawford and Rip Hamilton to add to Granger and Bosh! Fun!

I liked Merv’s small but fun deals, finding value in the bargain bin is always worthy of praise.

Kipke had a good comeback story from tanker to round 1 home court advantage, and I think the Melo trade was a good move because you have to take advantage of opportunities even if it’s a little too early.